frootloop69

Posted Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:51 pm

Hi all,

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

I have 17" VGA CRT monitor I plan on plugging into my recently acquired A1000. It weighs around 40lbs.
I was wondering if anyone has an idea of how much weight I can reasonably place on an A1000 without squashing it? ;).
If its too heavy, I'll have to make some kind of stand, but really want the original look.

Thanks!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:08 pm

The average 14" Commodore monitor (A1080, 1084, etc.) weighs approximately 25 pounds, or 11 kg, from what I've found online.

I'd be a little nervous about putting a 40 pound monitor on top of the A1000, but if you have the heat shield in place I'd feel a bit better about it. If the heat shield was removed for any reason (upgrade boards, etc) I'd definitely not do it. That plastic shell is not very strong at all and will even flex a tiny bit with the monitors designed for it.

With that big of a CRT, an attractive wooden stand that closely hugs it might look cool. A clear plexiglass one might be pretty, too.

frootloop69

Posted Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:59 pm

Thank you for the tips intric8! Much appreciated. My miggy has the heat shield, but I think I'll play it safe and build a plexiglass stand as you suggested.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:23 pm

If you do build one, I'd love to see what it looks like when you're done.

frootloop69

Posted Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:04 pm

Will post pics once I've got it done :) thanks again!

frootloop69

Posted Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:16 am

So, I haven't had time to build a custom stand, but slightly modified an existing one I had
A1Kstand2.jpg
A1Kstand1.jpg
Its rated for the weight of the 17" I have (1084 in pics).
Going to pull the 17" out of storage this weekend and hope the stand works with the added weight, after I modified the legs to fit.
Incidentally, the GBS8200 with hardware SLG does a decent job replicating the old feel with the SVGA monitor
GBS.jpg
The catch is that games look amazing, but you need to turn it off for a usable hires laced workbench.
Last edited by frootloop69 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

frootloop69

Posted Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:31 am

Okay....looks like I'm doing something stupid with the pictures - what's the easiest way to share pics in a post? I tried sharing my google photos links, but they don't seem to work?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:47 am

Those were URLs you were sharing, not images. If you want to upload images, you see an "Attachments" link below your Post's "Submit" button where you can add lots of images. You can even push them inline to your post content from there if you wish.

For now I've simply repaired your links as URLs instead of IMGs. The 3rd image URL you'd posted was broken.

Awesome pics!

frootloop69

Posted Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:54 am

intric8 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:47 am
Those were URLs you were sharing, not images. If you want to upload images, you see an "Attachments" link below your Post's "Submit" button where you can add lots of images. You can even push them inline to your post content from there if you wish.

For now I've simply repaired your links as URLs instead of IMGs. The 3rd image URL you'd posted was broken.

Awesome pics!
Thank you! I updated my post to fix the attachements :)

rpiguy9907

Posted Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:02 pm

Lovely monitor, stand, and A1000.

I may have to make a stand like that the ones I use now are too wide and take up a ton of desk space.

Return to “Hardware”