intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:35 pm

What makes it Elite, versus the original?
Fairly minor differences.
  • The Elite version has ZIF sockets with gold plated contacts for the SID chips, and the board is completely jumperless.(One of my online friends said some audiophiles think this is unnecessary and not a good thing. Who swaps their SIDs all the time?)
  • An additional difference is that the unit has a boxed (shrouded) header for the UserPort expansion, which reduces the risk of shorting the 12V line to a data line and blowing up the U64 board. --> Main reason I'd want it.
  • The color of the board will be black. (Yawn)
  • New:The "U64-E" will have a joystick swap switch, so port 1 and 2 can be swapped easily. (Kinda cool I guess.)

McTrinsic

Posted Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:49 am

I added an info-post on the Backbit cartridge here

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:45 am

McTrinsic wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:49 am
I added an info-post on the Backbit cartridge here

That's a quite intersting cartridge. I'd love to read your review about it (if you are going to do one).

McTrinsic

Posted Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:20 am

Oh, aplogies, I may have been not exact in my wording.

In the end I didnt' buy one as I am sticking to Ultimate II and my Turbo Chamaeleon. The latter one is missing in the comparison sheet, potentially on purpose :D .

I just wanted to share my find as I thought it might be interesting to some of us.

In the other post I grabbed the description from eBay. Not the actual cartridge :D .

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:02 pm

3D-vice wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:45 am
That's a quite intersting cartridge. I'd love to read your review about it (if you are going to do one).

It is for sure. I have one and have been using it for sometime. I will eventually put up a review here and on my soon to be Commodore Generation blog. My lack of time lately has been a real drag... Anyway, I gave my quick overview on the thread linked above...

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:03 pm

C64 Game Pad
C64_Gamepad.jpg
I just accquired this neat little gamepad from this guy. It is well-made and feels like the classic Nintendo gamepad. The 2nd button is mapped to pushing up for games that require you to push up to jump.

There are also versions available for Amiga, Atari, ColecoVision, and some more.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:08 pm

Yes! That's become my go-to controller in the past year. Quality build and very accurate. I had him create custom cord lengths (shorter than usual) for mine.

I have one for C64 as well as Vectrex. Love them!

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:55 am

Hello 8-bit world!

Well, yet again another review of a modern 8-bit asset... ok, I need to get my "Build-a-brand-new-Amiga-500 16-bit Project" running... soon... :mrgreen:

I got this new power supply unit, which offers power to my original C64 and a 1541-II floppy drive, as a replacement for my old "brick" PSUs. This new PSU has a nice feature: A small OLED showing various information. Have a look:
C64_1541_PSU01.jpg
The PSU with input powercord and two output powercords.

C64_1541_PSU02.jpg
I have to re-orient that sticker... in order to feed my OCD ;)

C64_1541_PSU03.jpg
The PSU starts up and informs us about switchable screens, showing the following info.

C64_1541_PSU04.jpg
The "manual" is simple, yet helpful.

The PSU does not hum or vibrate. It gets warm, of course, but just a bit. The device is manufactured in the European Community (CE-marking), so the manufacturer declares that the product meets EU standards for health, safety, and environmental protection.

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”