3D-vice
Germany

Posted Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:44 pm

Hello all,

my cousin recently showed me this neat little device and after getting my own kit and assembling and testing it, I thought this could be interesting for you guys. I present: The ODROID-GO - A Mini Retro Handheld Console.

This little gem can be purchased here (English) or here (German). There you can also find information about its specs and features. Also, there's a whole Wiki about the Odroid-Go.

Since the Odroid-Go comes with a transparent case only, I thought about adding come color to it. There are a lot of pictures and videos out there from people painting their cases in various color styles, such as the Gameboy color style, I thought about what color I should choose. Having a look at my good old C64 while finding ideas, I thought that the famous C64 Breadbin Brown could give the Odroid-Go an interesting touch. The color I needed to get is RAL1019, that's the original Breadbin-Brown. I asked a friend of mine to help me out here, because I do not have an airbrush and I lack the skill of spray-painting. As expected, my friend had the color available and since she is an expert at air-brushing, painting and especially masking the case, it was an easy task for her to get the job done.

Here's the journey:
OdroidGo_01.jpg
This is how the Odroid arrived.

OdroidGo_02.jpg
This the complete kit. No soldering is required to assemble it.

OdroidGo_03.jpg
The masked transparent cases, ready to be sprayed. The masking was done with adhesive tape and putty.

OdroidGo_04.jpg
We decided to paint the inside of the cases: One layer of transparent undercoat, two layers of color and one layer of matte finish.

OdroidGo_05.jpg
The final cases, ready for assembly.

OdroidGo_06.jpg
All parts unpacked and ready to be used.

OdroidGo_07.jpg
It all fits nicely into the front case. The most tricky part was to get the protective stickers from both sides of the protection screen.

OdroidGo_08.jpg
Doesn't it look awesome?

OdroidGo_09.jpg
First test run: The display works propperly. Time to set up and insert a Micro SD-card.

OdroidGo_10.jpg
Success! The system is up and running!

The only thing remaining to do is to connect it to my PC and update the Ordoid to the latest firmware. After doing that, the device does not only emulate its default consoles (Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Gear, Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega Master System, and ColecoVision), but is now also capable of running other emulators, such as C64, fMSX, Atari, Spectrum, and many others. The only downside is: If you want to run another than the default emulator suite, you need to flash-write it into the Odroids memory in oder to run. If you want to go back to the original emulator suite, you need to flash-write it back to the system.

Disclaimer: I do not know if the Odroid-Go is capable of emulating an Amiga. I'm still looking for information about that...

RizThomas
Surrey, BC, Canada

Posted Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:23 am

Upon reading this post, I decided to order one from Ameridroid since I also have an Odroid-C2. Hopefully it will arrive by Christmas. Without googling it yet, have you tried or how hard is it ti flash the firmware?

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:55 am

RizThomas wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:23 am
Upon reading this post, I decided to order one from Ameridroid since I also have an Odroid-C2. Hopefully it will arrive by Christmas. Without googling it yet, have you tried or how hard is it ti flash the firmware?
They have a ver good Wiki which explains the process step by step. Have a look here.

Under point 1, you can directly download the latest firmaware, which is: odroid-go-firmware-20181001.img

Under point 2, they link to a download page with the Windows Flash Tool, but this link is outdated. You can download the latest version of the Flash Tool here. Scroll down a bit to "Flash Download Tools".

The rest is easy going. Just follow the steps described in the Wiki.

Return to “Retro Corner”