intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:48 pm

Thanks to you and everyone else for all of the kind words by the way. I really appreciate it.

bweebar

Posted Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:43 pm

bnilsson wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:14 pm
Maybe there exists specific bugs that could be triggered by software to know this.
The Rev 3 cannot change the audio filter in software but the Rev 5 can. So if you play some music and then run a filter setting program, for example see this program on Aminet.

With a Rev 3, the power LED will change but the sound will not change
With a Rev 5, the power LED will change and the audio will sound noticeably "brighter"

The LED may go off or go half-brightness but I don't know if that's a function of the mainboard revision or if it depends on the keyboard type you have.

bnilsson

Posted Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:59 am

Alright, thanks for the tip I will test this.

Im very familiar with this filter, as you can turn it on and off in ProTracker. I will easily hear if this has no effect on this machine, then its a rev 3

Bulletdust

Posted Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:23 am

The Chicken Lips A500 wasn't the only A500 to have a red power LED. I have a normal Rev6a A500 and it has a red power LED, in fact even my original Rev 6a A500 from when I was a kid has a red power LED.

Rossb

Posted Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:24 am

I literally had an A500 Chicken lips gifted to me recently. Didn't really know much about these particular variants as mainly have A1200's, A1000's and a few regular 500's. But this video was extremely useful, I think mine is one of the stranger variants as it has a Rev 3 motherboard, Space Invaders keyboard and the correct keycaps but it is not an embossed case. I know due to the allocation of serial numbers they are not really a good indication of age, but it is quite low (02336 Germany). They say things happen in threes as shortly after I came across 2 more identical keyoboards via a collector that are both in mint condition.

Forgot to add, the unit also had KS1.3 installed so guessing this was defientely upgraded by a previous owner at some point in the machines history.

Regards,

Ross.

grshaw

Posted Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:30 am

Another really great video. Thanks for taking the time to make it. I really enjoyed watching it.

You have really upped your game in terms of production quality. This one looks to be professional quality. Great work! :D

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:02 pm

@grshaw thanks a ton. I'm so glad you liked it. It's a fun journey.

bnilsson

Posted Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:46 am

I finally got around to test my Amiga 500 chicken lips.

In ProTracker, when toggling the filter on/off setting the sound does not change, but the red led turn on and off.

This means it is a rev 3, and has the filtered sound always.

krifalk
Sweden

Posted Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:37 am

intric8 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:40 am

Finally, on my really early Chicken Lips my machine has very unique rubber feet on the bottom. They look like nearly perfect cylinders with very little tapering. I've never been able to find replacements as a result of this - dang it - and of course I'm missing just one foot on one corner. theFootIsOnFire.jpg
Actually, mine was missing three rubber feet and I ended up replacing them all with the common white rubber ones. Which means that I have one of the original ones to spare... :)

You want me to send it to you?

JazzyTech

Posted Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:08 pm

Thanks for pointing out all the differences between the various A500 models and keyboards. Since I purchased all 3 of mine in Germany, it will be interesting to see what versions they are.

Return to “Hardware”