JimDrew
LHC, AZ

Posted Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:18 am

As I said, there have been several people providing help on this project. One is Dan Tootill, who has been doing renderings and various research on this. I compared Dan's renderings to my 3D scans and adjusted mesh data which I used for creating the 3D models (overlays on top of the mesh).

Check out the renderings that Dan just sent to me. Dan and I have been on the same page about accuracy. We have been discussing what to do about the Commodore key. I think Dan's solution is pretty neat, but there will have to be a poll on what to do about this.
Attachments
Render_White_Keys_Black_Text.jpg
White keycaps w/black text

Render_Black_Keys_White_Text.jpg
Black keycaps w/white text

Render_Grey_Keys_Black_Text.jpg
Grey keycaps w/black text

arananet

Posted Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:30 am

This is great news!!!

I got my C64 mechanical keyboard waiting for keycaps and this is a perfect solution to finish it.
3.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg

I hope they came available soon.

Congrats for the project.

Jcook793

Posted Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:10 am

This is amazing news, Jim! I’ll definitely be a backer. Personally I’d love double-shot breadbin style with front-printed PETSCII, but I’ll back this no matter what.

Jcook793

Posted Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:11 am

arananet wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:30 am
I got my C64 mechanical keyboard waiting for keycaps and this is a perfect solution to finish it.
What is this board? I have the one by MtnBuffalo, but this is different.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:11 am

Oh man Jim they look so great! Hopefully Dan does a Chicken Lips C= key in place of that 64 key as a stretch goal or something. Woo hoo!

UPDATE:
I see the 64 is due to a lack of communication from the patent trolls, I mean copyright owners. Maybe more of us can make some noise to get them to respond.

Olem
Norway

Posted Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:40 am

Wow, this is great news! Been waiting a looong time for this. The renderings look great. Maybe it would be an idea to have colored f-keys as one of the stretch goals? I would like orange ones, like the original breadbin ones. They can then be combined with the other sets, and also original keys.
I'm also hoping arananet will offer those sweet keyboards for sale. Got Lau's mechboard, but need some more, and he's not making them at the moment.
I'm in for at least three sets of keycaps:)

JimDrew
LHC, AZ

Posted Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:14 am

I am hoping that the function keys can be different color options. It really depends on the amount of interest and what I can pull off with the keyboard manufacturer doing the keycaps. The problem is that there are 10 different shapes. Some of those shapes are in common and some are not. Two of the function keys are unique shape and have to be produced individually, whereas the other two share a common shape (CTRL and SHIFT). I am not sure how the mold will be made. I would like to see if it's not too much more cost to have the function keys done as a separate mold that can be made a different color.

I am also looking into keycap pullers. These things are really tough to get off without a tool.

D13TZ13
UK

Posted Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:43 am

Looking forward to this!

If there was an option for additional colours as stretch goals, I'd be tempted by some accent colours (perhaps the orange of the original 'f' keys, or a blue, as used on the SX-64 (or both ;) ))..

They would give good options for buying a couple of colour-ways & and swapping out keys - I'm thinking along the lines of the 'mito pulse' keycaps featured on Drop, for example.

Cheers & goodluck!

D13TZ13

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:10 am

Jcook793 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:11 am
arananet wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:30 am
What is this board? I have the one by MtnBuffalo, but this is different.
Indeed. I would like to know that too.

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”