Hostile17

Posted Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:40 pm

Hi all.

I’m about to start building a couple of new psu’s fit my A500’s.

I have the power supply bricks (MW PT-65B) and the proper square din plugs.

I have the cable and I’m going to print cases.

I have a question about the pin connections in the power plug.

All the pics I have seen show the shield pin as the one lower left side when looking at the plug with the dimple on top.

Thing is, my testing with a multi-meter seems to show that the lower left pin is actually NC, and the yellow shield wire is actually connected to the square metal case of the plug.

Can anyone with experience please explain the discrepancy with all the images on the web vs what the meter is telling me ?

When I actually get underway with the build, I’ll be documenting it with some video and pics along the way.

I just need confirmation that I’m correct and the pin out pics are wrong ?

Thanks in advance.

Jason.

dalek
Australia

Posted Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:31 am

Shield wire usually goes to the square metal shroud. I would say it depends on the actual manufacturer of the A500 PSU as there are several different kinds of internals. If you check the pcb and schematic I think you'll find that pin goes nowhere on the board.

At least on mine the shield pin was N/C and shield was via shroud, as is yours. I'd just maintain the same wiring as your current supply.

Hostile17

Posted Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:35 am

Thanks for the confirmation. I was planning to copy what’s there already.
Just found it odd that every picture I’ve seen online says the shield goes to the lower left pin.

Thanks again.

Jason.

Hostile17

Posted Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:19 pm

i have printed the case now. i made a time lapse of the print for anyone that might be interested.

when i get to the rest of the build, ill post an update here.

Jason.

https://youtu.be/cLqOs8YRj5w

Hostile17

Posted Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:26 pm

Attached some pics of the printed case. I’ll update again once the soldering is done.
726F6CCB-443F-4FEE-A8E0-7B841A6C5E94.jpeg
67463194-142E-41F8-AA6E-978F8DA37601.jpeg
3E80DFEC-38CB-44C2-9E58-A69FB0F782B5.jpeg
FAF1ADA4-78F1-415B-B28B-BBFBC2AB4036.jpeg

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:33 am

That 3D-printer shown in your video: There's quite some spaace for printing larger stuff, cool. May I ask: What printer model is this and who's the manufacturer?

And looking at the top half of your case: Since the top fan sucks in the air, I'd recommend a dust filter, this would probably fit into the deep cutout nicely.

Return to “Hardware”