obitus1990
USA

Posted Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:04 pm

I finally found the error...and it was total stupidity. No soldering errors at all... except for the fact that I installed a PAL oscillator, forgetting that I did, and closed the NTSC/PAL solder jumper (thereby selecting NTSC mode). Even though the 8372 Agnus is supposed to be both PAL and NTSC selectable via that jumper, it evidently doesn't work as it should if you have the wrong crystal installed. I was getting no fastmem showing, random graphical glitches, loss of sync/re-establishment of sync on the monitor, and a whole host of other weirdness. All the while, it would pass memory tests with KeirF's Amigatestkit.

grshaw

Posted Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:20 am

Awesome. I am so pleased that you sorted this out. :D

Great work Obitus1990.

Now that you have a working A2000, what are you planning to do with it?

obitus1990
USA

Posted Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:27 am

grshaw wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:20 am
Awesome. I am so pleased that you sorted this out. :D

Great work Obitus1990.

Now that you have a working A2000, what are you planning to do with it?
For starters, I will be removing the buggy rev 4.4 board I have already from its case and replacing it with a nice Rev 6 :). The 4.4 will be kept as a spare :)

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:35 am

Congrats!!!

obitus1990
USA

Posted Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:36 pm

D5FC5471-1E43-4D14-98B2-A6F44E7E747A.jpeg
Here she is, in all her cobbled together glory:)

Gotek with FlashFloppy firmware, modded PC drive, PP&S 040 turbocard with 32 mb of RAM, 2mb chip ram via a megachip I built myself, USB via a crappy DIY thylacine controller (slows the computer down to a crawl with anything less than an 060), DIY IDE controller (Oktagon AT-BUS clone kit from A1K) with an 8gb DOM. Original Hitek keyboard (note the C= key on the left side) and an Amigakit laser mouse. Also installed is an indivision scan doubler. The PSU is a modified ATX PSU fitted into the original 2000 PSU case and then connected to the 2000 with an Ian Stedman ATX adapter.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:44 pm

By the way, Obitus1990, you're a member of ParticlesBBS, yes? I feel like I've seen you there before. Trying to remember...

Anyway the sysop of that board has been doing the same project. He's had all kinds of issues, too, and is stuck on a yellow screen (pre-guru). He's been posting about it a little bit in the Amiga section of the BBS, as well as a particular FB group that just focuses on motherboards (I declined to join that group as I just don't have much to contribute as of right now).

I mentioned your project and experiences on his board last night, in case "Ice" or Brian Green potentially comes knocking on your door.

obitus1990
USA

Posted Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:09 pm

I have an account on Particles, but I couldn’t even guess what the username is as I haven’t logged in there in a few years. I do know who you’re talking about as I have been following his build on the Amiga Facebook group. I had answered a few questions early on for him, but, I haven’t seen much from him lately.

grshaw

Posted Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:23 am

Beautiful machine. Keyboard looks in great condition too. Liking the red glow. Makes it look kind of menacing. :D

nadoom

Posted Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:22 pm

Hello,

Nice work! Does any one have a spare mobo PCB for sale?

Thought i'd ask as building this will be my next project.

Thanks

Nad00m

grshaw

Posted Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:23 am

Hey there.

I don't have a spare, but I bought mine directly from Acill. He may be able to sell one to you too. Not sure how many more he has left from the second batch.

Return to “Hardware”