McTrinsic

Posted Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:52 pm

@intric8
At home I use the PowerLAN Adapters from Devolo for surprisingly good results.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:53 pm

intric8 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:39 am
Anyone have experience with WiFi Repeaters with Ethernet? Worth investigating?
For sure. I have a few sites I manage and they tend to be not the best but they can work. Consumer repeaters typically add another SSID network or 2 to your existing network. That is unless you go the route of Commercial quality Wifi access points/repeaters that are expandable via nodes. They are still somewhat finicky and often require reboots.

Is it possible at all to run a long ethernet cable to the room and then plug it into an 8-port or more gigabit switch from which you can plug in all your devices to in your room? Hard wired is for sure the way to go and if you can get creative on getting the ethernet cable down there it would be well worth it.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:22 pm

I can’t easily run a line, no. It’s literally from one end of the house to the other and different floors. It would be a major home improvement job to get that going.

obitus1990
USA

Posted Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:45 pm

intric8 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:22 pm
I can’t easily run a line, no. It’s literally from one end of the house to the other and different floors. It would be a major home improvement job to get that going.
If you don't mind the look, you can easily run it outside the house through conduit. You can neatly mount that to the external of the house. Of course, it involves drilling from the inside to the outside of the house, which can be a little difficult if you have a brick exterior (which will require a masonry bit).

Bulletdust

Posted Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:49 pm

intric8 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:39 am
I've often wanted something like this, but my 'retro room' (RR) is on a different floor than my WiFi/Cable Modem. So all of my retro gear depends on WiFi to get online.

I've thought recently about looking into a wifi repeater that has ethernet jacks as a potential solution to get some of the ethernet ports working in the RR. Then I'd be able to get my Powerbook online again, and potentially one of my A3000's later this year (more on that on another day - can't wait to show you guys!).

Anyone have experience with WiFi Repeaters with Ethernet? Worth investigating?
Ethernet over powerline adapters? They usually work quite well provided you don't run more than point A to point B. Otherwise an Ethernet to WiFi bridge, Dan Wood runs one in his Commodore 64 connects to the internet video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iccQZCxDd60

Mr.Toast
Roseville, CA

Posted Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:11 am

I bought a cheap USB powered wifi bridge since I don't have an Ethernet drop in my garage where I do most of my tinkering. Finally got around to plugging it into the u64 last night. Took some fiddling and was getting frustrated that it would connect to a board but only spew garbage.

Found this thread:
(https://twitter.com/duhproject/status/1 ... 70241?s=19)
and learned that the option "COMMAND INTERFACE" needs to be enabled. Once that was done, the garbage went away!
IMG_20200131_221903_1.jpg
Ultimate64 on Wi-Fi bridge

I'm using CGMS TERM ULTIMATE (2019) for the terminal software and it works great.

This is the bridge I picked up that worked. It's arguably junk and I would recommend looking for a better unit as the documentation is poorly translated and the quality is dubious.
IMG_20200131_222514_1_1.jpg
Meh

I'm rather eager for the Ultimate developers to enable the WiFi module. But, this is an inexpensive workaround for now.

Toast.

Bulletdust

Posted Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:57 pm

Mr.Toast wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:11 am
I bought a cheap USB powered wifi bridge since I don't have an Ethernet drop in my garage where I do most of my tinkering. Finally got around to plugging it into the u64 last night. Took some fiddling and was getting frustrated that it would connect to a board but only spew garbage.

Found this thread:
(https://twitter.com/duhproject/status/1 ... 70241?s=19)
and learned that the option "COMMAND INTERFACE" needs to be enabled. Once that was done, the garbage went away!

IMG_20200131_221903_1.jpg

I'm using CGMS TERM ULTIMATE (2019) for the terminal software and it works great.

This is the bridge I picked up that worked. It's arguably junk and I would recommend looking for a better unit as the documentation is poorly translated and the quality is dubious.

IMG_20200131_222514_1_1.jpg

I'm rather eager for the Ultimate developers to enable the WiFi module. But, this is an inexpensive workaround for now.

Toast.
"I'm a grain of sand on the beach but I can be found in public"...

How odd? ;)

If you use UltimateTerm V2.3 it actually goes through all the steps and tells you to enable the command interface for working Ethernet.

Francesco Sblendorio

Posted Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:52 am

An upgrade is recommended to the latest version (2.4), important bugfixes have been made:
https://csdb.dk/release/?id=198112

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”