Snaz

Posted Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:10 pm

BloodyCactus wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:29 am
intric8 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:36 pm
@Snaz
TSR LJN Toylines
I actually don't know what that is. Can you elaborate?
From memory, think He-Man but as D&D.

http://www.toyarchive.com/Dungeons&Drag ... gures.html
Exactly. LJN created a series of action figures, coloring books, stickers, etc for TSR AD&D. Some were even used in the cartoon. Strongheart, Warduke, Mercion, Zargash, Ringlerun, Kelek. And so on.

A good resource
https://pariedolia.weebly.com/exegesis/dux-bellorum
Last edited by Snaz on Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snaz

Posted Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:19 pm

FYI. Not maxing out your characters attributes leads to smaller random encounters in the Slums. Avoid the Rope Guild, as they are the big patrols with the Bugbears, until you've cleared the all the random encounters. Put your party on search and youll encouter more 'random' encouters. 4 orcs are easier than 20. Also you can rest in any of the cleared rooms of fixed encounters.

If you don't max stats, the only other difficult random encounters are the ones in Podal Plaza and sometimes Kutos Well. The truly difficult one is the Trolls and Ogres. Hire a Hero or two and put them in the front line of your party.

walldog

Posted Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:25 pm

I'm in the slums right now (not for real but in the game, well maybe for real depending on day!). Never played old RPG such as this so challenging myself to do it. I went nuts and purchased all the Amiga Gold box games. Only missing Curse of the Azure Bonds (anyone want to sell me a copy?)..

Anyway I have map done including rope guild. I can beat that room full of guards at 3,11 but they kill many on my party then no money to revive. So not sure how to overcome this. I hired a hero and a magic user to help out and it did but not enough. The monsters in the rope guild wipe the map with me pretty quick. So this where I am stuck. Any guidance welcome and certainly like to play along with others going through same thing.

Shot97 absolutely correct about hand mapping the game. Its fun...

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:45 pm

I went nuts and purchased all the Amiga Gold box games.
Wait, really? All of the Gold Box games? How on earth did you find all of them? Or do you mean from the first series? (PoR, Azure Bonds, Secret of Silver Blades and Pools of Darkness)

Or, do you mean from GoG?

walldog

Posted Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:37 pm

intric8 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:45 pm
I went nuts and purchased all the Amiga Gold box games.
Wait, really? All of the Gold Box games? How on earth did you find all of them? Or do you mean from the first series? (PoR, Azure Bonds, Secret of Silver Blades and Pools of Darkness)

Or, do you mean from GoG?
I have..

Pool of Radiance both C64 and Amiga
Secret of Silver Blades - c64 and Amiga

Amiga versions of...
Pools of Darkness - 2 copies
Gateway to Savage Frontier - 2 copies
Treasures of the savage frontier
Champions of Krynn
Death knights of Krynn
Dark Queen of Krynn

Missing Curse of the Azure Bonds for Amiga.. I have C64 version but going for all Amiga

And I am embarrassed to say never beat any of them. I am working on POR and determined to make way through it! I am just mesmerized by the boxes, artwork, manuals, everything involved in these games.

Snaz

Posted Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:15 pm

walldog wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:25 pm
Anyway I have map done including rope guild. I can beat that room full of guards at 3,11 but they kill many on my party then no money to revive. So not sure how to overcome this. I hired a hero and a magic user to help out and it did but not enough. The monsters in the rope guild wipe the map with me pretty quick. So this where I am stuck. Any guidance welcome and certainly like to play along with others going through same thing.
Wait until you beaten all 20 random encounters then the Rope Guild won't have any and only the Ogre and Troll Fight will you need to worry about.

walldog

Posted Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:33 pm

Snaz wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:15 pm
walldog wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:25 pm
Wait until you beaten all 20 random encounters then the Rope Guild won't have any and only the Ogre and Troll Fight will you need to worry about.
Thanks for the feedback Snaz.. much appreciated. I am not sure if I got all 20 encounters fo not but nothing more is coming at me. Yeah, then I met our friends in the rope guild and they proceeded to hand it to me. Gave up on that. Went to Kuto's well.. Defeated it after MANY attempts against the boss down in the well! That's where I am at today... I don't know if I can beat this game or not; just taking small steps..

walldog

Posted Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:43 pm

Thought I would share my feeble progress. Today discovered this... Hope this brings memories..
Attachments
Hag Pic.JPG

Return to “Games”