rmadden

Posted Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:49 pm

Hi, I'm hoping that I can connect with someone who's willing to part with one of the few sound cards that were sold for the Amiga 1200. Specifically, I'm looking for either the Melody 1200, Prelude 1200, Delfina 1200 or the Prisma Megamix cards.

It seems that the Rapid Road USB card (on the clock port) isn't powerful enough to support sound output from a DVD-ROM drive (external).

Thanks!

obitus1990
USA

Posted Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:03 pm

I don't have one to sell you, but, be careful what you plug into your RapidRoad. They're pretty notorious for failure if too much power is being drawn from them...and sometimes fail for no good reason at all. I've had it happen myself...one day it worked, the next day the LED on the board didn't turn on and I smelled burning (X-surf-100 version). It was a month old, I had to pay to ship it back to Germany, Jens went back and forth trying to blame it on something I did, old PSU, blah blah blah, and took nearly 3 months to finally honor his warranty and send me a new one. I'm not alone in this either...so just be careful what you use it for. I'd limit it to nothing more than USB sticks.

rmadden

Posted Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:24 pm

Thanks! I hadn't thought of that. What I have is an external DVD drive (bought for my laptop) that I plugged in the Rapid Road. It does work fine .. just no audio. However, I also have several internal DVD drives that I can connect ... just need to figure out how to connect the audio. What's running through my mind is to take the audio plug on the drive and merge (modify) the cable to work with an RCA jack to plug into the back of the 1200. I have an external power source for the drive, so motherboard power shouldn't be an issue.

rmadden

Posted Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:26 pm

Oh, the internal drive won't be USB ... it's IDE (or SCSI, as far as the 1200 is concerned). So the only things that will be plugged into the Rapid Road would be a USB mouse and thumb drive.

obitus1990
USA

Posted Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:06 pm

What's running through my mind is to take the audio plug on the drive and merge (modify) the cable to work with an RCA jack to plug into the back of the 1200. I have an external power source for the drive, so motherboard power shouldn't be an issue.
I’m pretty sure you don’t want to do that. That will send signal into the Amiga’s Audio jacks. You could very possibly damage the Amiga by doing that since those jacks are outputs, not inputs.

rmadden

Posted Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:37 pm

Ok - good safety tip. However, I'm at a loss on how to get the sound from the CD (DVD) drive to work through the Amiga. Might I ask for ideas?

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:33 am

Have you considered a small internal or external audio-mixer/-amp solution?

rmadden

Posted Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:35 pm

No, I hadn't thought of that. I'll need to look into doing that. Thanks.

McTrinsic

Posted Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:57 am

I just found an older discussion like this on A1k - sorry, German.

https://www.a1k.org/forum/index.php?thr ... post-61414

The attached pic is from EAB.
B1B0D0B6-D9EE-4978-98F8-D125092B25AF.png
These are some quote old threads over at the other forums... sorry trying to look for some more up to date info..

Return to “Trading Post”