A1-X1000
Toronto, Canada

Posted Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:22 pm

so I have an external HD atop my Amiga 1000...real one that has a controller side car....was working great up to few minutes ago :-X stupid me shut it off after a failed boot attempt while LED was on for a good little while and of course next boot the dreaded 'NOT A DOS DISK' error and bamn stuck in CLI..no problem right let me just grab my WB1.3 disk and go from there BUT no not this time as getting errors 122, 125 ...DF0 or DF1 doesn't exist???
seems I'm stuck stuck in this loop where Kick 1.3 loads up the HD driver and expects to load WB from external HD....tried an older kick 1.2 but it can't see the HD controller so can't run Quarter Back or DiskDoctor etc....
any way I can get access to the HD from CLI/ bootable disk etc ???
Last edited by A1-X1000 on Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:25 pm

Do you have a un-modded WB 1.3 disk you can you use? It sounds like you have a custom WB disk to mount the HD (that's how mine works).

If you had a stock WB disk, you should be able to fire it up and try to go from there. But... whew. Yeah man, a HDD going bust is always a horrible thing indeed. Sorry to hear about that.

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:51 am

Hi,
do you have 1 or two disk drives?

Starting point should be an unmodded / vanilla Kick1.3 and WB 1.3.

From thereon, you need to identify the driver for the HDD.

Do you have a name of the HDD-controller? There is a fair chance the driver is available online somewhere.

Ideally, longhorn, you could create a combined Kick/WB/Driver disk that loads all minimum required stuff from Floppy, reboots and from there on works off the HDD.

A1-X1000
Toronto, Canada

Posted Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:42 pm

McTrinsic wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:51 am
Hi,
do you have 1 or two disk drives?

Starting point should be an unmodded / vanilla Kick1.3 and WB 1.3.

From thereon, you need to identify the driver for the HDD.

Do you have a name of the HDD-controller? There is a fair chance the driver is available online somewhere.

Ideally, longhorn, you could create a combined Kick/WB/Driver disk that loads all minimum required stuff from Floppy, reboots and from there on works off the HDD.
yes I do have 2 FD's..or as A1000 says it..df0 and df1 :D ...I got the A1000 to boot up with the HD controller on thanks to the cool KickWork disk I found on another thread on this awesome site <3 ...so I can get into shell/CLI now and it can actually read disks etc this time! Now to get my HD to show itself so i can try to recover the boot partition on it .............................

A1-X1000
Toronto, Canada

Posted Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:55 am

..and after digging up my old trusty Amiga books in shell I typed in 'C:info' and DAM....what do you know DH0 shows up <3 :D :idea: .....running QuarterBack Tools Deluxe as I type to see if I can repair the partition else time to FORMAT ..but yahoooo pumped I got my HD up again :D <3 :!:

McTrinsic

Posted Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:22 am

Glad you got it solved!

Return to “Software”