oldbull

Posted Wed May 01, 2019 5:29 pm

So I had the crazy notion to put my cellphone on a tripod and do some "cinema verite" with my A500. The problem is coming up with ideas that have not already been done (and done better) by experienced Amiga youtubers.

Should i just forget about sharing my project and GET ON WITH IT?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed May 01, 2019 7:50 pm

It's 100% up to you and what you want to get out of it. For me - at least right now at this moment in time - I've zero interest in EVER making a dime on YouTube. Even if I ever pass 1K subs, I have ZERO plans to ever monetize that stuff.

Now if I had 1 million subs/views I'd probably be saying something else. But that's never going to happen. It's just not, and I have no delusions of ego or desire for "status". I'm just having fun.

So, if what you want to show is for you first I'd say go for it. Only got 30 views? Who cares? It's like going to a bar and striking up a conversation with a total stranger and having a good time.

Over time, if you really like doing it, I'd recommend an actual clip-on mic. Phone audio is pretty shitty. I learned that the hard way myself.

And again, it's all about what you want to do with it.

Worth noting that I saw a lecture by 8-Bit Guy at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo last year. He said, in an annoyed tone, people would come up to him all of the time to ask how to do what he did. The truth? He quit his full-time job. He spends 60-80 hours per week on a single video. He writes and re-writes each script over 30 times before shooting a video. He edits them obsessively. And I think now he stresses out over his content calendar.

Essentially, it became his new job. And it's a grind. But if you're just wanting to share - where's the harm in that? Have fun! And let us know if you post it.

Mixel

Posted Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:47 pm

oldbull wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 5:29 pm
So I had the crazy notion to put my cellphone on a tripod and do some "cinema verite" with my A500. The problem is coming up with ideas that have not already been done (and done better) by experienced Amiga youtubers.

Should i just forget about sharing my project and GET ON WITH IT?
I wouldn’t worry about what’s been done by others. No two creators make the same thing in the same way. I’ve watched so many different people talking about/showing/playing the same things.. Or installing/testing the same upgrades.. It’s nice to see different peoples’ takes. :)

It’s also a neat way to keep up to date with what random people in the community are up to.

Return to “The Lounge”