3D-vice
Germany

Posted Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:27 am

Guys, I am sooooo happy! :D

I've helped my dad cleaning up the attic of my parents' house and I could not believe my eyes when I found this:
Amiga_Disks_01.jpg
This is my old floppy disk box thought lost.

Amiga_Disks_02.jpg
These are the most important discs.

There are a lot of classic games in there, but the most important discs are the ones shown above: My save discs! I really hope that there's still data available on those. They contain all of my graphics and sound works from back then. I am so happy to have re-discovered my old floppy discs.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:08 am

CONGRATS!

Man I wish I'd made backups of my saves on my A2000 last year, or whenever that drive got screwed up (by me). Very happy for you!

dddaaannn

Posted Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:15 am

That's amazing! Recovering your own data disks is one of the top miracles of this hobby. Very happy for you. Thanks for sharing!

— Dan

rpiguy9907

Posted Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:17 am

German levels of organization on display right there!

dalek
Australia

Posted Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:16 pm

Wow they look cool!

I bet you were pining for a HDD back in the day like I was ;)

bwldrbst

Posted Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:40 pm

I've got a few of my old data disks (and some belonging to other people that I've picked up over the years). I wish I'd been better at backing up my stuff (mainly Blitz Basic code and DPaint pics) after I got an A1200 with a HD.

One day I decided to try out a BSD on a spare partition but, stupidly, didn't back everything up before installing it. During the install I typed in the the disk name instead of the partition name (like /dev/sda instead of /dev/sda2). The Amiga OS partition still booted but pretty much everything was corrupted.

A1-X1000
Toronto, Canada

Posted Fri May 01, 2020 8:47 pm

ah LOVE IT when this stuff happens <3 still remember the joy when I found my original C64 with box and manuals in my parents basement after 25 years of thinking I lent it to a friend and they never returned it lol

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Sat May 02, 2020 4:43 am

bwldrbst wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:40 pm
I've got a few of my old data disks (and some belonging to other people that I've picked up over the years). I wish I'd been better at backing up my stuff (mainly Blitz Basic code and DPaint pics) after I got an A1200 with a HD.

One day I decided to try out a BSD on a spare partition but, stupidly, didn't back everything up before installing it. During the install I typed in the the disk name instead of the partition name (like /dev/sda instead of /dev/sda2). The Amiga OS partition still booted but pretty much everything was corrupted.
Uh ouch, I'm sorry to hear that.

CptSparky

Posted Sat May 02, 2020 5:05 am

bwldrbst wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:40 pm

Do you mean you installed BSD on your Amiga 1200? May I ask which year that was and if some BSD versions would still run today? A little googling only gave me about the time of 2005.

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Sat May 02, 2020 1:26 pm

Hey guys!

Let me thank you at first for all of your awesome comments. :lol: <3 :D

I'd be happy to get some advice: I want to see what is (left) on my Save Disks of course. I really hope that I'll re-discover my old Amiga graphic works, as the ones from my C64 which I found a while ago. Luckily, I have a few of my old Amiga Lightwave renderings saved and found a while back...

I am quite unsure if I should just slot those disks into my Amiga 500 floppy drive and see if they are still readable. I also have my KryoFlux device at hand, which I intend to use to backup my old works onto some modern device for long-term preservation. Maybe I should start with this one?

I'd be really happy if one of you gals and guys have a recommendation for me.

Thanks in advance and cheers,
Marc

Return to “Software”