intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon May 18, 2020 1:25 pm

Lode Runner for C64 is one of my all-time favorite games for the 8-bit machine. I have many fond memories of playing this game with my brother growing up. He, 2 years older, was actually much better at it than I was. He would play some levels for what seemed ages and wouldn't give up until he solved them.
IMG_7711.jpg
I've always loved the "Atari-esque" dramatic cover illustration.

I had the disk version, and I had the original cartridge. I even had a loose manual I picked up somewhere.

Only now do I actually have a boxed copy. It is the cartridge version for C64. It's not 100% perfect or flawless - it has a mild crease on the front. But it's the closest I've ever gotten to perfection with this beloved game.
IMG_7712.jpg
It's no wonder these boxes are usually damaged, The top flap is 1-part hook holder. Plus, the entire bottom half of the box is virtually just empty space.

IMG_7713.jpg
Gotta love how some kid proudly jotted down his or her high score on the cover of the manual, for safe keeping. I have another manual that is perfect, but I'm very tempted to just leave this original manual as-is and keep it the way some kid from the past left it.

IMG_7714.jpg
She'll be proudly displayed on my C64 shelf going forward.

McTrinsic

Posted Mon May 18, 2020 1:35 pm

Loderunner rocks!!
This is just awesome that you too had fun with it.

That was way back when Brøderbund was _really_ cool. Loderunner, Bungeling Bay, Choplifter, Spelunker and I even liked Mask of the Sun although I never solved it.

I guess the trick especially with Loderunner was that is was so ... hhmmm... symbolic? abstract?
What I mean is it really triggered my imagination back then. In my mind I saw something different happening than what was displayed on the screen. My imagination translated it. I saw Dr. Jones running for treasures ;) .

Man I wished that the Brøderbund
From back then was the EA of today 😀

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Tue May 19, 2020 10:27 pm

Right on! Lode Runner was always one of my favorite games on the C64. I have a boxed copy also, the disk version, but I think my disk has some issues. That is the nice thing about the cart. No disk rot. Yeah these boxes are notoriously crappy design. Mine has the same issues and creases. Oh well. I play it with a backup copy I made.

Lode runner is such a favorite of mine that any time they released a later game for any platform I had to buy it. The later Sierra PC CD-ROM version is one of my favorites. I think I have newer releases also for Mac, PC, Gameboy, Playstation 1, Nintendo 64 and XBox360. And you know, they are all fun to me. Lode Runner 2 was a bit weird, though.

Return to “Conquests”