grshaw

Posted Mon May 25, 2020 2:47 am

Have you seen a note or a site or anything that shows what Mods were made to the floppie209 A2000 boards? All the revisions say with mods, I am just curious to know what mods they made beyond what is in the release notes. I know they added a diode and coin cell footprint to 1.8.5. But not sure what else they fixed from the 6.2 Base.
I haven't seen anything myself. It may be in the history of the GitHub project perhaps?
How is your system running? I hope it is still going strong.
It's been 100% stable. Thanks for asking. I am really happy with it. I have seen one annoying issue though. Jumper J300 allows one to switch the source of the Tick Signal. You can select either the PSU or Agnus. My system is 100% reliable with this jumper selecting the PSU as the Tick source. However, it will not boot if I select Agnus. Kind of annoying for me specifically, because it means that Hacktrick 60Hz does not work. I know that this should work on an ECS 8372A Agnus like the one I have, so scratching my head on that one at the moment. Any ideas welcome.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Thu May 28, 2020 8:37 am

Glad it is working stable. I have no idea why the Tick jumper wouldn't work correctly. If I had to guess I would say check the pins on the Agnus or the socket, especially pin 79 and everything in between that jumper. Not sure what would cause that. I assume you have an original A2000 PSU?

You are correct the 8372A Agnus is both NTSC and PAL, unlike the previous or later versions that had specific NTSC and PAL versions. I'll have to read about the HackTrick 60hz. I am an NTSC user so I am usually always set to NTSC 60hz. The only time I typically use PAL is for Euro demos that don't run quite right on an NTSC then I use my A1200 for those since it is easy to switch from NTSC to PAL.

grshaw

Posted Sun May 31, 2020 2:12 am

"I assume you have an original A2000 PSU?"

Yes, I do. However, I have noticed that the voltage on the 5V rail is a bit on the high side. I measure 5.6 -> 5.7 V with my multimeter. I wonder if this is the cause of the issue?

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Sun May 31, 2020 8:40 am

grshaw wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 2:12 am
"I assume you have an original A2000 PSU?"

Yes, I do. However, I have noticed that the voltage on the 5V rail is a bit on the high side. I measure 5.6 -> 5.7 V with my multimeter. I wonder if this is the cause of the issue?
Yeah that sounds high to me. I have not opened my PSU in ages so I don't remember if there is a voltage pot to adjust the 5v/12v rail. Worth a look though because I know Commodore had pots on some of the C128/C64 PSUs.

catman

Posted Sun May 22, 2022 3:56 am

Hello,
Excited to finally be starting a build on one of these replica boards in the next few weeks. I am having trouble sourcing one lot of parts, the ferrite beads.

The BOM calls for a BL03RN2R1P1A (link below) that is available nowhere currently (or ever again, discontinued).
Could someone recommend a suitable replacement/alternative?

edit: I should probably add these are at location EMI201, FB216, FB217, FB218, FB219, FB220, FB221, FB900, FB901, FB902, FB903.

Murata Electronics BL03RN2R1P1A Ferrite Beads

I've managed to source a clock chip, ram, custom chips... yet some ferrite beads may be the stumbling block of the build!

Thank you for any help!

Crispy
Sunhillow

Posted Sun May 22, 2022 10:21 am

I found what looks to be an acceptable substitute at Digikey, here.

catman

Posted Mon May 30, 2022 1:13 am

Crispy wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 10:21 am
I found what looks to be an acceptable substitute at Digikey, here.
Thank you very much, got the parts here with me now, will update in coming weeks / months once the build is working (still waiting on the pcb)

catman

Posted Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:42 am

Build complete!
It’s a thing of beauty… first boot didn’t have agnus seated properly I felt dread.

Plugged it in properly, graphic corruption and guru.

I done the highly scientific method of feeling what was hot, Paula and Denise was only thing luke warm.

Sooooo I check the joints, some were a bit untidy but nothing that wouldn’t pass muster - pin 10 …. Couldn’t feel a leg there, ok… no sockets spare and its days to weeks (or months to get stuff like this here) … checked Denise, same problem same pin

Powered it on

Bam kickstart :)

Ill do two new sockets later.

After all that I forgot to order a buster chip (never had a big box amiga) :( waiting for a bluster chip to come from Poland now. Can someone confirm you can run a system without buster with say a rgb2hdmi card?

McTrinsic

Posted Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:10 am

Can’t confirm running without a buster - I simply don’t know it ;).

Just wanted to make you aware that there are Buster replacements sit there.

Search for „Bluster“ or similar.

https://github.com/LIV2/Bluster

catman

Posted Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:07 am

McTrinsic wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:10 am
Can’t confirm running without a buster - I simply don’t know it ;).

Just wanted to make you aware that there are Buster replacements sit there.

Search for „Bluster“ or similar.

https://github.com/LIV2/Bluster
Yeah, I ordered a bluster a couple of days ago, stuff takes -forever- to come from Europe atm.

I got a feeling I should prolly buy an ordinary buster as well, just in-case stuff does not come or is fake (just got some fake chips from China, seller is insisting they'll work, just "refurbished" (black paint comes off top of chip) ... yep, I'm going to risk that in my baby.

I will try the RGB2HDMI without the buster in in next couple of days and I spose I can add to the collective of information for people who search in the future.

Return to “Hardware”