intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:27 pm

I had one of these way back in the day, and I have one today. If I'm going to have a C64 in my house (or 2 or 3 or...well, you know) I have to have one of these glorious joysticks, too. And frankly, I use it with my Amigas as well.

It is easily my favorite go-to joystick 9 times out of 10: the Suncom TAC-2 “Totally Accurate Controller”.

tac21.jpeg
tac22.jpeg

I've always had a black version. I've seen the off-white ones online, but I've never had one or seen them in-person.

These controllers are super solid and legendary for their durability and precision. They were also made in the USA.

Actually, that's not entirely true. There was a cheaper version made in China that had a black plastic stem instead of the solid metal chrome version, but I've never had one of those, either.

I suppose another oft-forgotten benefit of this controller is it is equally great for both righties and lefties.

I have a few other controllers I pull out depending on the game (e.g. the Wico Command Stick), but most of the time I "stick" with what I grew up using.

What's your favorite controller?

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:51 am

At first: Those are very beautiful photos! I like that reflection of the joystick. <3

My all time favorite controller was and is the "Konix Navigator". I've been using the well-known red and black colored "Competition Pro" of course for gaming, but I had difficulties using the Competition Pro for doing graphics on the C64.
C64_Joystick1.jpg
One day (back then), I got hold of the Navigator from Konix. I was astonished by this neat joystick. It contains hight quality microswitches and I really liked the ergonomical design. Doing pixel artwork with this joystick was awesome due to its high precision and due to it was laying quite well in my hand.
C64_Joystick2.jpg
The only downside was the quite loud clicking noise of the microswitches, but I got used to that quite fast.

Fun fact: On my quest cleaning up the attic of my parent's house and re-discovering things thought lost (such as my Amiga Disks), I found a box with my old joysticks, which also included my second Knox Navigator joystick. :D

jost80
Sweden

Posted Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:07 am

TAC-2 is the best looking joystick imho.

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”