intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:57 pm

As some may recall, I've been working on a side project for the last few months. Since I'm fortunate to have two A3000's, I kept one mostly stock like it was the day it was originally assembled in 1990. The other one I've made a bit of a pricey plaything.

It has currently installed:
- a zz9000 HDMI RTG graphics card
- 8MB Zip on the motherboard (I had ordered 16 but the shipment was incomplete. I'm 3 chips short! So annoying.
- A SCSI2SD card with a small 512MB card
- Amiga OS 3.1
- P96, zz9000 drivers
- BigRAM+ 256MB Fast

And soon to be installed:
- RapidRoad
- X-Surf (I really just want the USB port)
- Extra Serial card for more devices
- MUI
- Magic Workbench

And a few more odds and ends that lean on 3.0+ machines. I'm really a pretty hard core 1.3 guy, but it's been fun exploring the 3.0 world. I'll save those thoughts for another day.

But one thing I really like is an icon paint program called Iconian. It was created by Chad Randall out of Michigan © 1993-1996.

The UI has some weird quirks I'm trying to overcome, but the toolset is eye-poppingly good. I hope to get well-versed in it enough to create some cool stuff eventually.
iconian.jpg

rpiguy9907

Posted Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:28 pm

Awesome setup. Many a day I regret throwing out my Amiga 3000 around the year 2000. I also prefer AmigaDOS 1.2 or 1.3.

Do you happen to know if there are any guides for setting up a Compact Flash card to autoboot with 1.3? Or do you have to use SCSI to boot with 1.3?

Almost all the CF solutions I have read about use AmigaDOS 2.x and above and while newer versions of AmigaDOS are a nice place to visit, I don't enjoy living there.

McTrinsic

Posted Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:38 am

You need an autobooting-capable mass storage host adapter.

Such as the A3000 onboard scsi.

Autobooting usually requires 1.3, though.
Last edited by McTrinsic on Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mixel

Posted Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:06 pm

I’m so glad you mentioned this as it’s something I used back in the day and had completely forgotten what it was called and had second guessed myself into thinking I must’ve misremembered it even existing!

It’s so much nicer than the standard editor!

Mixel

Posted Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:59 pm

Did you ever wrap your head around Iconian in use?

I tried an experiment - in high res mode I used “half vertical” on some of the 3.1.4 icons, and they look great! Saved them.. but then after a reboot, the same thing happened to parts of the icon as happened to your magicWB icons in your screenshot example - crazy colours! (Which change as you view different icons on the desktop)

I tried saving as newicons and no dice.. I tried saving it with “use current depth” - didn’t work either. ☹️ Id love to know the settings that make modifying 3.1.4’s glowicons possible.

Amigabill has a half height 3.1.4 iconset but I haven’t found anywhere you can download that?

Is there any demand at all for a *very compact* 4 colour iconset for high res modes, it’s almost tempting to go all out and save as much chipram as possible if the colourful ones are going to be obtuse. :(

Return to “Software”