occi
Portugal

Posted Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:26 am

Morning lads,

not sure if this is the right sub-forum to post this (feel free to move it if it is not).

Just connected my Amiga via a RGB-to-Scart cable to my OSSC. And then from the OSSC via HDMI cable to my TV. Works perfectly fine.

I want to do the same with my C64. But the video output from the C64 is S-Video (if I am not mistaken). So I was doing some research and came across this https://videogameperfection.com/product ... ranscoder/ - I assume this would work so the final setup would be:

1) C64 via S-Video output into the Koryuu-Transcoder
2) Koryuu-Transcoder into the OSSC
3) OSSC into the TV

In theory this should work, right? Or is there maybe a simple S-Video to modern TV connection option? Open for all suggestions. I am not looking for the PERFECT solution but a reasonably good one. Thanks!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:58 am

I'd recommend doing some Google searches for the RetroTink. A lot of my friends have been raving about it lately.

occi
Portugal

Posted Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:09 pm

I have heard about it too and wanted to order. Currently out of stock (low production and high demand). I have put in an order so hopefully they will have it again soon.

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:56 pm

Hey there,

other alternatives for connecting your C64 are a Turbo Chameleon cartridge, which delivers a clean VGA signal), or the legendary XRGB-mini Framemeister from Solaris Japan. The latter one delivers a very good picture, but the device is quite expensive.

McTrinsic

Posted Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:15 pm

Using a TurboChameleon just for VGA seems a bit odd, but if I think about it ... it is indeed a great option. Not to mention all the awesome extra functionalities you’ll be getting !

occi
Portugal

Posted Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:22 pm

3D-vice wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:56 pm
Hey there,

other alternatives for connecting your C64 are a Turbo Chameleon cartridge, which delivers a clean VGA signal), or the legendary XRGB-mini Framemeister from Solaris Japan. The latter one delivers a very good picture, but the device is quite expensive.
Checked the Framemeister XRGB-mini. "Only" Euro 470. Damn lol.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:29 pm

That's because they are no longer being made - iirc the chips that were used to make it are no longer produced. So, a few months ago, the Framemeister was put to bed in the marketplace. As a result they've become highly sought after items.

But, the RetroTink is - from what I've been told - a very nice substitute at a far lower price. IF you can find one of those (they apparently can't make them fast enough).

A10001986

Posted Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:04 pm

Beware, the output of the original C64 is not S-Video, it is some approximation. The el-cheapo S-Video-to-Component converters do mostly NOT work with the C64.

First google hits on this topic:

https://www.commodoreserver.com/BlogEnt ... 4C65DB541E

https://retrocomputing.stackexchange.co ... al-s-video

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”