tlgrooms

Posted Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:56 am

Back in 2007 I was trying to install OS 4 on my 3000T with Cyberstorm PPC accelerator and Picasso IV. During the process, I restarted the machine (not while it was doing anything) and it failed to boot. Ever since then this is what I have gotten. I tried getting help with it a few times over the years at Amiga.org and EAB but never was able to figure out why it won't boot. I'm attaching a youtube link of my 3000T when it is powered on. It cycles over and over as seen in the video. The power light flashes 7 times between each cycle and screen is black.

Here are some of the suggestions and things I have tried:

• Battery, no corrosion as it was pulled before it ever went bad.
  • I have swapped all socketed chips with a working 3000 Desktop. The chips from the 3000T worked in the 3000 desktop but still had the same problem after swapping the chips with the 3000T. I swapped them back after the test.
  • I have pulled all the cards and reset the jumpers to boot without the accelerator, no change.
  • I have pulled all the socketed zip memory, no change.
  • I have swapped out the ROM chips with the 3000 desktop.
  • I wired up an ATX power supply to make sure it wasn't the power supply, no change.
  • I came across a new 3000T power supply on eBay and received it yesterday, pulled out the 3000T and tried it, no change.

There is no apparent damage on the board anywhere and like I say, it failed on a restart. It was working perfectly fine until that restart.

If anyone has any suggestions of anything else I might try or knows of anyone who might take a look at it and see if they can fix it I'd sure appreciate the help. I would love to get my 3000T going again. I am located in Arkansas but wouldn't mind driving several hours to meet with someone who would take a look at it and see if they can figure out what's going on with it. Hate to ship it anywhere as the board is huge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQtFA8iEVhA

obitus1990
USA

Posted Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:39 pm

Out of curiosity, does it exhibit that behavior with the hard disk disconnected? What version ROMs does it have in it (compared to the version in your 3000D)?

tlgrooms

Posted Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:02 am

It did back when it first happened. Been a long time since I've tried hooking a hard drive back up to it tho. I'll try it this weekend and see what happens.

The roms that were in it at the time were 3.1. The roms I tried from my 3000D were 3.0 roms. I have 3.1.4 roms in my 3000D now and still use it. I had the 3.1 roms from my 3000T in my 3000D until I got the 3.1.4 roms a few months back.
The are back in the 3000T now.

tlgrooms

Posted Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:57 pm

Obitus1990, I misread your post. Yes, same thing with hard disk disconnected. I have everything disconnected and set back to default 030 jumper settings. No cards, no socketed zip memory, no hard disk, no floppy drives.

I do have the SCSI terminator in place on the back of the machine. Have tried removing it, no change.

Same thing happens with the accelerator in place and the jumpers set for the 060.

Been very frustrating. Looked back at some old posts and it was actually 2009 not 2007 when it went down on me but still been ages.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:47 am

Boy, this is one of "those" cases.

I can't help but wonder if one of your sockets (somewhere) has a busted pin. Like, imagine just one single pin on the Agnus socket having broken off. I once removed an Agnus from a Rejuvenator and little did I know that a tiny spec of acidic dust had floated over to the chip and settled between the chip and a one of the 84 legs of the socket. When I popped out the Agnus a single leg on the socket, which had been weakened for many years, limply and tragically fell off. One of those sinking in your stomach feelings. Luckily I saw it happen and EzdineG was gracious enough to help me fix it after the fact.

tlgrooms

Posted Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:42 pm

I was able tonight to put in a set of v1.0 Diagroms and this was the result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3naLuT53w6o

I will be trying to hook up to a pc as soon as I can get one set up with a serial port.

No matter what keys I tried on the keyboard the result was the same as in the video.

dalek
Australia

Posted Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:20 pm

So just confirming any keys just throw you back to the same screen? You can't run a memory test?

From my memory (I've spent hours and hours fixing my intermittent A3000 :( ) if you connect to the serial port with diagrom you will be able to try an kick off the memtest from there. Also work from bare bones - remove all but the 1MB of soldered on chip ram. Then add some fast ram - holding left mouse button on powerup will tell diagrom to try running from the end fastmem. Holding right mouse at boot will tell diagrom to try and use the beginning of ram instead. These options may change the behavior of the system if the fault is ram / address decoding related.

Might be some issue with the keyboard / cia. Time to grab a logic probe and go over all the ram and supporting logic chips :s But the good news is you can rule out display etc!

EDIT: oh - you need to burn a newer diagrom - 1.0 doesn't support those mouse buttons like I suggested to try - go for at least 1.2 (I have tried 1.21 yet but there's another option :) )

tlgrooms

Posted Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:25 am

Right, the only key that seems to do anything after the diagrom comes up is the ENTER key. It cycles between the one shown screen and the menu. I am unable to select any of the other options. It is just showing the information screen.

I have been working bare bones. All socketed memory has been removed as well as everything else and the jumpers set back to 030.

I tried replacing the 4 pal chips and both CIA's with known working ones from my 3000 Desktop last night. No change.
I also put the ones from the 3000T into the 3000 Desktop and it booted fine with them.

I also know the keyboard is fine. I have tried 2 known working keyboards from both my 2000 and 3000.

Next I'm going to try to find someone who can burn a set of v1.2 diagroms for me here in the states and get the cables I need to hook it up to another machine to see the output from them.

dalek
Australia

Posted Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:11 pm

Cool - I don't know about 1.0 but with diagrom 1.2 you can use the mouse in the menu if the keyboard is not functioning as expected.

tlgrooms

Posted Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:34 am

When I use the mouse with the 1.0 roms I have it just alternates between the main menu and the info screen same as in the video I put up. I have a nullmodem cable coming in today. Going to try that to see what I get. May purchase 1.2.1 diagroms if I can't find out anything with the cable hooked up.

Return to “Hardware”