obitus1990
USA

Posted Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:50 pm

I took out my A1200 today to remove the battery from its turbocard. Even though it is a sealed lithium battery, which usually don't leak, it IS over 20 years old, so, it was time to go. I have a replacement on hand, but, decided not to install it.

Specs: PAL A1200, in a NOS case and NOS keyboard I bought several years ago. At that time, I recapped the motherboard, removed the modulator, installed a CF card as the HDD, and an Indivision. A Gotek drive was installed into the machine via a 3D printed bracket and, I printed out a friction-fit OLED display to show me what image I am using.

It has a Blizzard 1260 with 128 MB of RAM in it, which started out as a 1240 -- I desoldered the 040 and installed a Rev 6 060 (as well as the required voltage change modifications (5v changed to 3.3 V) and replaced the angled SIMM slot with a flush mount one so I can close the trap door. I also changed the crystal oscillator to overclock the REV6. It runs at 66 MHz instead of the stock 50 MHz, and it flies. At 66 MHz, there's barely any discernible heat.

I am running WB 3.1 in DBLPAL mode, which looks gorgeous on my Dell U2410.
IMG_7944.jpg
IMG_7940.jpg

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:17 am

Wow, that is some special setup. I see you have ScaleOS in a window there. I would love to hear more detail on it. I have seen it about, but don’t know much about it

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:19 am

That's a really slick machine. Fabulous upgrades and future proofing all the way around. That little LED monitor is too cool!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:21 am

Ah, on closer inspection that looks like one of those Escom models. I got one of those a few years ago when there was a small NOS stockpile discovered. I remember mine being surprisingly bright white.The new keycaps actually match that color better than the old original Amigas.

I wound up selling my machine as it was just a buggy mess with the software I wanted to run. Love what you did with yours.

obitus1990
USA

Posted Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:18 am

intric8 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:21 am
Ah, on closer inspection that looks like one of those Escom models. I got one of those a few years ago when there was a small NOS stockpile discovered. I remember mine being surprisingly bright white.The new keycaps actually match that color better than the old original Amigas.

I wound up selling my machine as it was just a buggy mess with the software I wanted to run. Love what you did with yours.
One of the German stores, about 4 years ago, still had NOS cases and NOS USA Keyboards in stock (but no complete machines). Even though I already had a 1200, in the Commodore branded case, I couldn't restrain myself, because together, these two items were like $100. So, I transferred my existing motherboard from the C= case into this Escom case since it was so much brighter. Now that I think of it, this is a 1D4 revision board. So, it's a C= made motherboard inside an Escom case :) . I'm sure that machines from that stockpile that Petro happened upon, in their original boxes and such, would fetch a small fortune today with a collector.

Return to “Hardware”