The real reason you got that machine (or emulator), right? Classic and new Amiga games talked about here. Have you seen the Games Library?
BloodyCactus
Lexington VA

by BloodyCactus posted Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:27 pm

intric8 wrote:soul crushing

yes. That is a good two words to describe this game in its entirety :lol:
--/\-[ Bloody Cactus :: http://kråketær.com :: http://mega-tokyo.com ]-/\--
intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

by intric8 posted Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:21 am

After two solid nights of playing (and several reboots) I finally got my party out of the ice crevasses and back to the surface. These aren't really hard battles. But I keep facing weak spellcasters who randomly cast Disintegrate and simply destroy one of your characters before you've even gotten started.

I first decided to go train all of my characters. I mean, why not? I wonder how high they can go? (They now range from 12 to 17!)

Next I went to the well. I literally have crates of gems at this point, so I figured I needed to feed it and be told which level in the mine I missed a tiny piece of the staff. It told me a few things related to a Lich, but nothing of real importance and nothing related to my current predicament.

So I just sat and stared at the screen for a while. What did I miss? What did I forget.

Out of ideas, I decided to go back to the temple and find that old dwarf, Derf. Ka-Click!

As soon as I walked into his chamber:
IMG_0533.JPG

IMG_0534.JPG

Now that that's done, I can go back to where I left off. OMG! I really don't remember being told to come back here before going to the castle, but it must have said so and I just brushed past it.

On to the final slog through the eastern ice crevasse (again), and to the castle. Looking forward to seeing this Lich.

One a side note, I picked up a CIB Pools of Darkness and installed it to my HDD last night, too.

Wow - just, wow! The intro is fantastic. Talk about a giant leap forward. The engine might not be seeing any marked improvement from game to game, but SSI definitely invested in a very cool intro for Pools.
McTrinsic

by McTrinsic posted Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:18 pm

The SSI Gold Box Games hold a special place in my heart. I spent a significant part of my youth with them. I was an avid Pen&Paper rpg’er back then. It was thrilling. It felt like real interactive books. After lots of grinding and such i remember the glorious feeling of success when I hit a milestone within a game like you did. Well done!
I’m surprised, though, that you missed something here. I thought Ultima IV had taught You a lesson ;) .

Great progress!!!
intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

by intric8 posted Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:38 pm

Took me several more battles and mappings and travels (so many Medusas....). But the "final" battle was epic. Took me 3 tries to get'er done totally cleanly without any losses.
IMG_0562.jpg
The Lich

The Lich really wasn't that big of a deal after all. But I enjoyed fighting him. On the third try I didn't lose a single character in the party, and finished the game the same way.

Oddly, the game was strangely bi-polar. I was so excited to beat the final boss, only to be left standing after it was over wondering what was going on. Then - a secret door in the room and another battle! But not a very difficult one (just scary as it was unexpected).

And then even after that battle... it didn't seem over. For a Gold Box game I was extremely disoriented to say the least.

So I went back to the game's "oracle" for answer as I wasn't sure what else to do. And then, finally, I was told I was done.

How strange... Interesting, in that it made the game seem more open-ended, but strange as I could seemingly walk around and just "do things" after I'd beaten the game.

In any case, I'm glad it's over. I think I may have liked this game more than others have mainly because, in terms of technical advancements, there weren't many. But it was fun if a bit grindy.
intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

by intric8 posted Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:59 pm

Every time I finish a dungeon crawler or Gold Box game, I kinda need to reset myself. They are SO much fun and very rewarding, but they can take a lot out of you, too.

Point-and-click adventures take just as much, if not more. But sort of from a different part of your brain. I've played Loom before (and was captivated) but I never pushed myself to finish it. I just barely scratched the surface to be honest.

I acquired the game a few years ago, but last year I got the audio cassette, too. I now have the entire experience, and it's been ready and waiting for me. For some reason I've been afraid to start. It's got such a deep history and cult following I feel like I'm walking on hallowed ground. But I'm ready now. I installed it to HDD tonight and the disks worked flawlessly.

I need to read the manuals (which the recommend I do). And I can't read music - so I may be pulling my kids over to help me from time to time. But frankly, I like the idea of that.
D4Zz3kZUEAATVI3.jpg
D4Zz3kZUcAIqUu_.jpg
D4Zz3kZUIAADrvF.jpg
intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

by intric8 posted Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:16 pm

I completely re-wrote my original review for LOOM now that I've finally finished it for the first time.