druuna

Posted Sun May 14, 2023 3:39 am

Hello everyone,
just bought a yellow Amiga 500 on ebay that seems working!!!
I have no cables to connect it anywhere yet but I got the power supply with it.
I love retro computing but I do not know much about the Amiga, never had one before: I have a zx spectrum, an msx2 and a Atari XEGS also.
My floppy should work, not sure what would be the best way to load software on it: a usb floppy for Windows or install a Gotek inside the Amiga...any suggestion welcome :-)
Can't wait to load Marble Madness, try her fantastic operating system and see that ball bouncing :-)

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Mon May 15, 2023 6:57 am

Greetings and welcome to the Hive!

At first: You may want to think about replacing the original power supply with a modern one. There are plenty of alternatives available for the Amiga 500.

As for a Gotek-drive: Those for internal mounting (inside an Amiga 500 case) are nice, but they replace the internal original floppy drive. If you want to keep the floppy drive, you may want to think about putting a Gotek into an external floppy drive frame and use a DF0/DF1-switch to be able to boot from the Gotek.

If you want to put files onto a real floppy disks, there are more obstacles to pass, since you need to transfer your ADFs to the floppy disk using something like a Kryoflux or a GreaseWeazle hardware-interface.

druuna333

Posted Sun May 28, 2023 7:28 am

Had to create a new user name as I forgot my password but the link to reset it seems down..we should let the admin know maybe?
I managed to install the Gotek np, at the moment I'm using it with the case half open as I'm missing the plastic bracket to install it properly.
I have no floppy at the moment so will look at the floppy selector at a later stage.
My power supply seems in good stage, you still would recommend to change it?
Power supply seems hard to find or quite expensive in Europe..any suggestion?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun May 28, 2023 8:00 am

forgot my password but the link to reset it seems down
Thanks for the heads up.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun May 28, 2023 8:07 am

Re: Power Supply

Cheapest one I've seen kind of near you would be a brand new one from Retro Passion for £54.99 Incl. VAT.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Mon May 29, 2023 1:06 am

Welcome to our crazy part of the vintage computer hobby. If your Amiga is a 500+, you should open it up immediately and cut out the Varta battery as they destroy machines if they leak.

druuna333

Posted Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:53 am

Thanks. Yes crazy! My wife is already complaining it's taking too much space :D
It's not a 500+, I think it's a first serie? beside the drive activity and power leds has just the C logo.

Return to “Member Intros”