mscdex

Posted Sun Jun 02, 2024 6:31 pm

After not being able to get floppy access working completely, I am suspecting that the Paula chip may be not completely functional (although the non-floppy features seem to work fine). When looking for replacements I noticed there is a non-ceramic 8364 R7 and R7PD that were presumably used in later Amigas, but are they compatible with an NTSC 1000? My Amiga currently has the original 8364 R4. I can't seem to find any information regarding compatibility.

Before anyone asks, I did try both swapping the CIA chips and replacing them both completely and no change. Both internal and external floppy drives only partially work, meaning they can read the first cylinder (in Amiga Test Kit) and that's it. Interestingly I was able to get it to identify a Kickstart disk but nothing else (presumably because enough data is on that first cylinder?).

Anyway, the Paula chip (AFAIK) is the only other chip besides the CIA chips that have anything to do with floppy access, so that is where I'm at.

obitus1990
USA

Posted Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:41 pm

It should work fine. Pinout is the same. Agnus is the only chip you have to be mindful of when going between versions, AFAIK.

McTrinsic

Posted Fri Jun 07, 2024 6:37 am

Do the floppy drives work as expected on a different Amiga?

Return to “Hardware”