intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:22 am

What's the jumper configuration you used to get scsi working
I don't remember. I'll have to pull it out of storage and see.

jamesyoung

Posted Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:02 pm

Thanks mate, really appreciated

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:13 pm

Mine look like this.
Attachments
IMG_0990.jpg

jamesyoung

Posted Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:31 pm

Thanks, mine look the same :)
Jumper Settings
The Phoenix Board links relating to the SCSI Port will already be set correctly when you receive it,
but just for reference these are the correct settings:
- L12, L14 in
- L33, L37 out
- L35 centre and right pins jumpered (if Kickstart Swap Switch not installed)
- L31, L32 centre and lower pins jumpered
I've got L12 in, and when I install L14, the amiga will not boot. I also haven't found where L31 is.

jamesyoung

Posted Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:44 pm

Follow up, it works. The Floppy power stealer included with the Phoenix External Drive kit doesn't supply enough power, the disk will spin up and identify as a scsi target, but it will not read or write. Fixed it by trying a 4 pin floppy to molex adaptor like the one in your video. lmao I spent a few days trying to fix the scsi.

This is the phoenix and the drive box. The included adaptor is at the bottom left.

Close up of the box.

Thanks for taking the time to help me though, I really appreciate it.
I'll get around to imaging the phoenix floppies for you when I can transfer files.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:56 pm

No problem. Glad you sorted things out!

Wait - so there's a Phoenix external drive? What size is it? That's super smart considering there's not really sufficient room inside the A1K's case for a physical mechanical hard drive. Did you buy it back in the day? Do you remember how much it was?

So many questions! I love the sticker on that case!!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:57 pm

By the way, I made a bunch of replicated stickers if you should ever want one. I had them printed on clear vinyl and they look super dope. I sold them at-cost to a few folks over on a1k.org 3-4 years ago. I have.. a lot of spares. I only needed one! :D

jamesyoung

Posted Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:02 pm

The external drive has a 3.5" 52mb Quantum drive in it. My dad picked up this phoenix + another phoenix and some other amigas from a dealer who was shutting down for next to nothing. (this would have been around the early 00's when amigas were not collectable). The phoenix drive box has a sticker on the bottom, which I have whitened and will reprint.

Stickers sound great, but the shipping to Aus will probably be more than what it costs to print them myself.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:04 pm

That. Is. So. Cool.

jamesyoung

Posted Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:06 pm

I'm going to build a few BlueSCSI boards to chuck inside the amigas.

Return to “Hardware”