bwenman

Posted Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:30 pm

Hi,

I have three Syquest disks plus a drive and would like to convert them to Windows files. Is there a way to do this? I don't want to do it myself as don't want to buy any more hardware for the conversion but would seek out someone to do it if it was possible.

Thanks

McTrinsic

Posted Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:14 am

You mean accessing the files first that are on the syquest, right?
Or do you mean actual ‚conversion‘, like converting an iff file to png?

For access you don’t need hardware if you can connect the drive to your pc. I mean, if it is a scsi drive you need to have a scsi Adapter in your pc. For IDE you get cheap IDE-USB adapters.

Once you have that you can assign the drive in WinUAE to the virtual Amiga as harddrive.

Lets start there - Do you have an emulated Amiga set up?

bwenman

Posted Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:37 am

Thanks for the response.

Yes - I just want to access them and copy them, conversion can come later.

In my house we have all Dell laptops and one All-in-one which don't lend themselves to expansion with a SCSI adaptor. Can I use a SCSI-USB cable?

I don't have an emulated Amiga setup but I could do that - was waiting to see if I could access the files before going to the trouble.

Thanks

Brad

McTrinsic

Posted Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:54 am

I didn’t ask but maybe I should have... is the Syquest SCSI at all?

Anyways you need to hook up the Syquest to the PC.

The only alternative I see would be transferring the Data from the Amiga to the PC through a direct connection. In case of an unexpanded Amiga This may take days via the serial Connection - and the cable will cost you also a few dollar plus potentially an adapter for the PC as a serial port is getting extinct. Or you would need to expand the Amiga significantly. Considering all this I would rather look for the cheapest way to access the Syquest directly from the PC.

So, yes, either USB2IDE or USB2SCSI - but be careful about the connectors and pick the right one.

Usually, these removable media were setup with the Amiga and consequently with a file system of the Amiga.

Therefore I see no alternative to setup an emulated Amiga and access the data from there one connected to the pc.

I’d start with an emulated A500 and a 68030 and some FastRAM plus a directory set up as HDD.

bwenman

Posted Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:21 am

Thanks. I will try and hunt down a cable.

What is the best program to emulate the Amiga on a Windows 10 PC?

McTrinsic

Posted Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:45 am

Hi,

usually I would say just use WinUAE:

http://www.winuae.net/

It is just the emulator program itself, though.
To fully emulate an Amiga, you also need an image of both the KickROM and the Workbench-Disk-Set (ok, these are like 5 disks for Workbench 3.1 ;) ).

PM me if you need help or more details regarding these.

If you are looking for an all-in-one package you might consider the commercial AmigaForever with some nice bonuses:
https://www.amigaforever.com/

Technically, Amiga Forever is based on WinUAE and adds some nice GUI and other stuff such as aforementioned images of KickROMs and Workbench disks as well as other commercial stuff. And nice videos :D.

There are various tutorials out there how to set up an emulated Amiga with WinUAE.

You might start here:
http://pjhutchison.org/emulation/uae_faq.html
http://pjhutchison.org/emulation/uae_install.html

Once you have the system set up and running, just check back here and let us know.

From there it is only a few clicks to access the data.

WARNING WARNING WARNING
When connecting any device to your Windows computer, DO NOT LET IT SET UP THE MEDIA OR DEVICE. Windows is not able to read from the media and therefore considers it empty. If you do so you lose your data.

bwenman

Posted Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:01 am

Thanks very much for the detailed info - it is a great help. Let me digest it and I will come back.

Cheers.

Return to “Hardware”