ubermick
California, via Cork

Posted Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:28 pm

Gutted for it. The bits and pieces I'd put together were that he was also being threatened by the guys in Apollo? Either way it's a massive shame - like Obitus said, it leaves Amiga users either scrambling for the remaining Blizzard boards in the wild, or being held hostage by the few commercial vendors selling modern cards.

nonarkitten

Posted Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:31 pm

ubermick wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:28 pm
Gutted for it. The bits and pieces I'd put together were that he was also being threatened by the guys in Apollo? Either way it's a massive shame - like Obitus said, it leaves Amiga users either scrambling for the remaining Blizzard boards in the wild, or being held hostage by the few commercial vendors selling modern cards.
Seriously? I know Gunnar was attacking his original prototype TF520 for being "too slow", but I didn't know there were any threats. What -- the Vampire's the only accelerator now? Boy are they about to be disappointed...

McTrinsic

Posted Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:59 pm

There are alternatives that I would even consider superior. Check on AmiBay for cards designed by Matze. DJCook sells them regularly.

ubermick wrote:

ubermick
California, via Cork

Posted Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:02 pm

nonarkitten wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:31 pm
Seriously? I know Gunnar was attacking his original prototype TF520 for being "too slow", but I didn't know there were any threats. What -- the Vampire's the only accelerator now? Boy are they about to be disappointed...
Take it back - he wasn't threatening Stephen (he was slagging off his TF520 over three years after it was discontinued) but was threatening Thomas Richter instead. I'd spotted the thread one night over on Exxos in Stephen's channel: https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =65&t=3460

From Stephen's channel, it seems that decision to step away was the combination of people on "the other forum" (ahem-hem) making money off his work and branding it as their own, and constant harassment from random people about when X or Y would be available, or building their DIY boards incorrectly and demanding support from him.

Regardless, its a shame that a squeaky minority drove a really selfless guy who was doing so bloody much for the modern scene away.

nonarkitten

Posted Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:46 pm

McTrinsic wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:59 pm
There are alternatives that I would even consider superior. Check on AmiBay for cards designed by Matze. DJCook sells them regularly.

ubermick wrote:
RTG doesn't make a better Agnus or Amiga, it makes your Amiga a little more PC.

Acill

Posted Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:39 am

The Amiga has had its fair share of trash talkers and dirt bags since the start. If you have been involved in the community for any length of time you know this and just learn to look around it. If you cant handle it, then its not the place for you. If you want to make money and get rich, its not the place for you, if you want to be held up on a pedestal and bowed down to, its not the place for you. If you want to work hard on bringing exciting new things to a computer that has no useful life in it, but we all still love to use it and spend insane money doing it, well you found home.

Return to “Hardware”