fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:33 pm

Hi all, so I am restoring and updating my A500. Rather than retro brite it, I am going to give it a paint. I know some people don’t like doing this, but this is going to be my fun games machine. My A1200 will remain as stock as it was when I got it.

I was thinking of going the SX-64 route or possibly.....red....

What do you fellow amigans think? Any other colours or designs you can think of?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:48 pm

In fact, yes. I recently saw a truly inspired A500 mockup. Someone took the design elements of an old Amiga technical manual and placed that design and color scheme onto a pretend 500's case. I love this idea. It wouldn't be easy, but it could certainly be achieved using stencils and patience. The fun wiggly lines could even be printed out as color vinyl stickers.

Here it is, by Dread Pirate Humdaak on Reddit:
a500mock.png
I really like the idea of this, even if it is rather bold and unconventional. It would be fun to go through all of my old Amiga books and magazines and find something that spoke to me, like this mock does.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:14 pm

Ooooh, I really like that. It has that late 80’s / early 90’s vibe about it. Did not think about little design elements like that. That shade of matte grey is cool as well. Definitely more research needed.

McTrinsic

Posted Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:50 pm

I’d indeed favor an SX-64ish design. The new iComp C64 cases featured such a colour - i really really liked that one.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:52 am

That is what triggered my thinking as well. I have C64c that is getting the same treatment as my Amiga, they could be twins.

Return to “Hardware”