User avatar
JimDrew
LHC, AZ
Website

Posted Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:06 am

LOL! No worries! :)

User avatar
intric8
Seattle, WA, USA
Website

Posted Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:13 am

I can't wait to update and fire it up tonight after work. Thanks, Jim!

User avatar
Bulletdust

Posted Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:32 am

Just letting everyone know that there is another update for the WiModem232, firmware version 2.40. Get on it peeps!

Image

User avatar
McTrinsic

Posted Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:58 am

Hi,
this reminds me ... any chance of a Plip-WiModem??

User avatar
JimDrew
LHC, AZ
Website

Posted Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:39 pm

Actually, v2.51 is the latest (released just a few minutes ago).

v2.50 was a MAJOR update! I re-wrote the data streaming so that transmit and receive are now fully asynchronous. This fixed all of the odd things that people had reported, especially at the higher baud rates.

To do a PLIP-box thing you need a parallel port version. The ESP8266 chips are serial in nature. I don't think the Amiga's parallel port is going to get you fast enough speed for web browsing. It is limited in speed by the system e_clk (.715MHz). You can already use the WiModem232 as a SLIP connection if you want to play around.

User avatar
Bulletdust

Posted Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:24 am

Awesome work Jim and thanks for the update.

User avatar
Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:00 pm

FYI - I learned that the hardware was updated to V2 recently, which enables some DTR/DTS and CTS/RTS stuff (look at the product page for more info). I know it is cool if you are going to use it on an Apple II or host a PC BBS, but apparently it doesn't affect the Amiga. He posted on his site that he will provide instructions for modifying the original one to make it a V2. Personally for the Amiga I see no need to do this though.

WiModem232 w/OLED - V2 product page
New Features explained

User avatar
EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:58 pm

JimDrew wrote:Actually, v2.51 is the latest (released just a few minutes ago).

v2.50 was a MAJOR update! I re-wrote the data streaming so that transmit and receive are now fully asynchronous. This fixed all of the odd things that people had reported, especially at the higher baud rates.

To do a PLIP-box thing you need a parallel port version. The ESP8266 chips are serial in nature. I don't think the Amiga's parallel port is going to get you fast enough speed for web browsing. It is limited in speed by the system e_clk (.715MHz). You can already use the WiModem232 as a SLIP connection if you want to play around.
Great, Jim! Just ordered one of these and a gender changer from your site after reading about it here. Looking forward to tinkering when it arrives Monday!

User avatar
jdryyz

Posted Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:24 pm

I think this is the missing piece to help my 64Door problem. I will have to give it a try. Amazing how much trouble this little program has given me. I have already sorted out the other problems. 64Door is picky from what I have learned. I am currently only able to run it on an unaccelerated A1000 with KS 1.3 and 8.5MB RAM.

For my test, I would prefer to just change &k rather that change the three other values. I won't be needing hardware flow control with 64door anyway.

Incidentally, I tested WiBridge on the same A1000 with JrComm set at 38.4kbps and I was able to receive a Zmodem transfer from the PC side. As soon as I bumped it up to 56.7kbps, I started getting too many errors.

I should mention that I am using BaudBandit.device and I do have the WiModem232, not Paul Rickards' modem. Also, hardware flow control *is* enabled for WiBridge.

So I then tried my 030 accelerated Amiga. Same term program, same speed and same modem. It too errored out at 56.7k. My NComm is broken at the moment. Some known issue with changing the serial.device. TERM 4.8 was also tested but just hung during the start of the ZModem xfer. I did not test XModem.

Maybe I should be pointing my finger right at ZModem. It isn't very internet friendly. At least not under modem emulation. I've not had any luck with it on my Commodore 8 bit machines either.

And yet, when I use a real telnet program like DCTelnet, ZModem transfers are ultra fast and flawless. I am on a direct internet connection in this case. Not a fair comparison perhaps.

JimDrew wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:19 am
Ok, try the latest version. I beat on 64 door with no slow downs or any issues at 300/1200/2400/9600 baud.

Just keep in mind that if you enable flow control (AT&K1) that you MUST invert the polarities (AT*R1*C1) because 64 door uses the same inverted polarities that the C64/128 does. Kind of odd, but it does! You don't need flow control though, but in case you try it and it hangs - you don't have the proper polarities for RTS/CTS.

User avatar
JimDrew
LHC, AZ
Website

Posted Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:32 pm

You probably need to use a different "serial.device" driver. I would recommend using BaudBandit.device or 8N1.device instead. Both of these support 115,200 just fine. The stock serial driver starts having issues at 57600+ baud.

Also keep in mind that wireless routers are not land-lines. By default, Z-modem has a very tight timing window designed around a sub 50ms ping time. You can easily have longer than 50ms when hopping across IP's around the globe, and even across your room (depending on the router).





Return to “Hardware”