codevark
Sutton, MA USA
AOL

Posted Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:16 pm

Heya! My first coding experience was on an A1000 in 1985, using (IIRC) Lattice C. Later moved onto more high-level/scripty stuff like CanDO and ARexx. Any coders out there? What's the best compiler to use these days? Just snagged Oosterkamp's book. :)

codevark

codevark
Sutton, MA USA
AOL

Posted Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:46 pm

hmm.. looks like the book assumes OS3.9 right from the start, as it describes downloading the NDK for 3.9. Guess I'll look into that. :)

sikosis
Brisbane, Australia
Website Twitter

Posted Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:59 pm

I'm not sure what the best is, but I've been dabbling with SAS C 6.5 which can be found here.

I wish I knew about C when I was on the Amiga as I only ever did stuff in BASIC, then Hi-Soft Pascal but also played around with CanDO as well. Nowadays I mainly program in PHP, C# and Objective-C on Macs and PCs.

codevark
Sutton, MA USA
AOL

Posted Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:56 pm

Maybe it was SAS C, and not Lattice - sounds familiar. Thanks for the link! CanDo could have been a killer app if things were to have gone differently. It was basically the early Amiga equivalent of the later (PC) Delphi (another language I have a lot of experience in, long story) - Eddie Churchill who was a CanDo dev went to work for Borland and contributed to Delphi.. and so history is written, winding its way through our lives. I'm working on getting an old website of mine "CanDo Corral" back up and accessible. Hopefully before summer. :)

BloodyCactus
Lexington VA
Website

Posted Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:21 pm

cross compiling with VBCC is imo the best way.

grshaw

Posted Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:28 am

Maybe it was SAS C, and not Lattice - sounds familiar
SAS and Lattice C are the same product IIRC. I believe that it was first known as Lattice C and then later re-branded to SAS C. I also learnt to code in C on using Lattice C.

Return to “Software”