markpaterson

Posted Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:31 pm

Hi,

I have an A1200 with AmigaOS 3.2 installed (along with physical 3.2 ROMs). I output RGB SCART into a RetroTINK 5x into a modern LCD monitor. My Workbench resolution is PAL High Res Laced 640x512 at 32 colors (the RetroTINK is a superb flicker fixer!)

When I set the Pointer to High Res, it doesn't scale proportionally. Instead it only scales the width. The height remains the same as the low res version.

I believe this only affects PAL and NTSC High Res Laced modes. Notice how it looks squished horizontally. It looks like this regardless of the monitor, so long as it's running PAL/NTSC High Res Laced.
IMG_3628.jpg
For comparison, this is how it looks in DblPAL mode on my M1438S Monitor (which is now retired from regular use). It looks high res and correctly proportioned.
IMG_3614.jpg
Has this always been an issue with PAL/NTSC High Res Laced?

I should also mention that some of the additional pointers (such as the Corner Resize pointer become invisible in PAL/NTSC High Res Laced when the pointers are set to High Res.

Any help is appreciated!

markpaterson

Posted Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:15 pm

Hmm so apparently this is not a new issue and has existed ever since those resolutions were possible. Guess I never noticed it in versions prior to 3.2 because I was using my M1438S multisync monitor in DBL Pal.

It's a bummer that Hyperion didn't address this in 3.2 though. So is there a hack or something to fix it? Running the pointer in low res looks bad on a high res screen, and squished high res pointer isn't great either.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:59 pm

One hack would be to go i and modify your arrow icon manually to look the way you want it. It would take a little trial and error, but if you plan on staying in that resolution and not jumping around I'd think that might help. Once you go into a program that uses its own pointer I'd think you'd see the same issue, though.

Return to “Software”