nadoom

Posted Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:52 pm

Any one have a recommendation for a fairly modern 4:3 LCD monitor?

I imagine there is a lot of crap out there so thought Id ask

Thanks

Nad

obitus1990
USA

Posted Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:17 pm

Would you be opposed to a 5:4 perspective instead? Viewsonic still makes them if you're OK with that versus 4:3. It's very close.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:55 pm

I have a brand new 4:3 15" monitor I got this year that I'm very pleased with. The bonus (for me) is it has an 1024x768 native resolution. The reason that's special is my Amiga's graphics card has that resolution as one of its settings.

As a result, the default screen is jaw-droppingly gorgeous and crisp. So crisp and sharp, I can't express in words - or photos - how insanely perfect it looks with the naked eye.

Plus, the card has HDMI-out, so, yeah. It's crazy.
a3000-setup.jpg

I specifically wanted a "small" screen, too, as it very closely matches my Commodore CRT screen sizes and angles. It's actually 1 extra inch, I believe, but it's pretty close. I have a 19" LCD that my older eyes appreciate, but it does look a bit odd sitting on top of the elegant A3000.

This monitor also has a metal case, so in theory if I was really brave I'd spray paint it and it would look like it came that way from the factory.

The only downside was the price. I paid a lot more for these aesthetics than most folks probably would. I also got a different stand for it as the original stand (also metal) made me a little nervous I might knock it over. FWIW this thing is built to be mounted to walls, too. It's a "professional" display. The other nice thing about it is when I hit the power button on the machine, the monitor turns on also without me touching anything. Feels downright modern. :)

That being said, the 4:3 monitors I have that are non-HDMI and simply work with my Amigas are not brand new. It depends on what you're going to plug them into, and which cables you get matter, too. Big Box Amigas use one type of cable while the all-in-ones (like the 500) use a different one. Buffered vs non-buffered.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:56 pm

This is a very handy list to have in your bookmarks.

Bulletdust

Posted Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:13 am

I use a Dell 1707FP connected to my Amiga 1200.

Considering it uses a top quality IPS panel with 1280x1024 resolution, it looks downright amazing. However, as far as I'm aware it won't handle 15khz, I use an Indivision AGA MkII Cr via DVI.

mscdex

Posted Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:41 am

intric8 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:55 pm
I have a brand new 4:3 15" monitor I got this year that I'm very pleased with. The bonus (for me) is it has an 1024x768 native resolution. The reason that's special is my Amiga's graphics card has that resolution as one of its settings.

As a result, the default screen is jaw-droppingly gorgeous and crisp. So crisp and sharp, I can't express in words - or photos - how insanely perfect it looks with the naked eye.

Plus, the card has HDMI-out, so, yeah. It's crazy.

a3000-setup.jpg

I specifically wanted a "small" screen, too, as it very closely matches my Commodore CRT screen sizes and angles. It's actually 1 extra inch, I believe, but it's pretty close. I have a 19" LCD that my older eyes appreciate, but it does look a bit odd sitting on top of the elegant A3000.

This monitor also has a metal case, so in theory if I was really brave I'd spray paint it and it would look like it came that way from the factory.

The only downside was the price. I paid a lot more for these aesthetics than most folks probably would. I also got a different stand for it as the original stand (also metal) made me a little nervous I might knock it over. FWIW this thing is built to be mounted to walls, too. It's a "professional" display. The other nice thing about it is when I hit the power button on the machine, the monitor turns on also without me touching anything. Feels downright modern. :)

That being said, the 4:3 monitors I have that are non-HDMI and simply work with my Amigas are not brand new. It depends on what you're going to plug them into, and which cables you get matter, too. Big Box Amigas use one type of cable while the all-in-ones (like the 500) use a different one. Buffered vs non-buffered.
Does this monitor handle 15khz through the RGB port (via VGA)? If so, how does it handle the various modes? I've been looking off and on for a really good LCD monitor that I can just plug into my stock A1000.

nadoom

Posted Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:28 am

Thanks guys amazing responses and very helpful. I use 4:3 interchangeably but yes 5:4 would be just as good for my needs.

I've got an OSCC so will be looking for VGA monitors really. planning to use it for all my retro stuff :-)

I'll let you know what i find :-)

Nad

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:50 pm

Does this monitor handle 15khz through the RGB port (via VGA)?
Honestly I haven't tried. I've only been using it's HDMI port. I'll have to experiment with that at some stage.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:36 pm

intric8 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:50 pm
Does this monitor handle 15khz through the RGB port (via VGA)?
Honestly I haven't tried. I've only been using it's HDMI port. I'll have to experiment with that at some stage.
That would be good to know since it seems to be on the pro level. I looked through the specs and datasheet on the website but it does not specifically mention it. Since it has composite input, I would say there is a chance.

Return to “Hardware”