AndrewSan
Sweden

Posted Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:29 am

I received an A500 Rev 6a that i'm refurbishing, and the floppy drive is not original, but a hacked into place "repair" job. Whichever repair center did it (back in the early 90's), seems to have hacked the case up a bit to accomodate the larger eject button, and the stand-off hex screws are not the correct length, so thew whole thing tilts down slightly. I can't do anything about the fact that they've masacred the case, but is it possible to buy original (working) A500 floppy drives, and the correct size stand-off hex screws?

The drive i've got works, but is noisy, although it's the eject button that is most annoying, as it doesn't sit flush with the case when there is no disk in the drive--it's always prominent.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:14 am

There always seems to be quite a few old A500 drives up for sale on the Ebay UK or Ebay Germany sites at very reasonable prices.

Those are going to be used, of course. But you generally get the original floppy drive button along for the ride.

Otherwise, you're generally looking a places like this. These are going to be later floppy drive units that have been modded to read and write Amiga disks. They also will have 3D printed buttons. Finding them i n-stock is often the tricky part, though.

Return to “Hardware”