fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Wed May 10, 2023 12:33 pm

I am busy putting together my next article and I am looking at Imagemaster RT. It is something I bought back in the day as it was way more affordable than ADPro.

I loved it and wondered if anyone else here used it and what they thought of it? Did it lord it over ADPro and ImageFX or was it a last place Nellie?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed May 10, 2023 1:07 pm

Is that the same Imagemaster as published by Black Belt Systems?

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Wed May 10, 2023 3:52 pm

Yes, it was just a later version. I suspect the RT stood for retargetable. I even moved to Winimages on the PC, although the interface was not as elegant.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed May 10, 2023 4:35 pm

I found a rather interesting comparison from 1993 between Imagemaster, ImageFX and Art Department Professional.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Thu May 11, 2023 3:48 pm

Interesting article. I had to laugh about the printing and scanning bits. I remember that always being a pain on the Amiga. Actually, the whole driver situation for those devices is so much better these days.

Amiga World has a couple of articles comparing those three as well. It is a very interesting time in the compositing world. Things were not quite digital and standards/techniques were not quite universal across applications.

fastrobplus

Posted Tue May 16, 2023 2:31 pm

Imagemaster RT was free with the purchase of a HAM-E from Black Belt back in the day. I had it but didn't get much use out of it personally.

I am reasonably sure that it was used to some extent in the creation of the movie Jurassic Park. That's knowledge comes from my memories of the Black Belt System's BBS (BBS' BBS!) where there were SFX people discussing the use of a feature. At the time I hadn't known of the book Jurassic Park and for some reason guessed it was a political crime thriller.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Fri May 19, 2023 5:37 pm

I will definitely look that up. Won’t surprise me as ILM were and are serious innovators who use all sorts of tools to get the job done.

If anyone knows any of the devs, I would be interested to chat to them. Their names in the manual are:

Barry Chalmers
Tom Krehbiel
Pete Patterson
Hal Schwab
Ben Williams

Return to “Software”