intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:38 pm

I now think the uneven waves seen in the test print actually have to do with the printer alternating between draft, high quality and NLQ.

If I print a page from GEOS, I don't see that dramatic of a difference from line to line. I'm still getting some slight smudging but I find it to be acceptable for the time being.

IMG_2785.jpg
This is the "High Quality" setting, which feels rather like Bold if you ask me.

If you take this photo and look closely (potentially zoom in) where it says "nose to nose" in the first line, then look straight down from there, that area of the page has that weird smudge going on which frankly may just be an artifact of this almost 40 year old printer.

obitus1990
USA

Posted Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:46 pm

That's one thing I really miss about the early days of computing...the sound of the dot matrix printer. That and the modem.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:19 am

Update:

Welp, my gamble on a replacement Star cartridge/ribbon didn't pan out. LOL!

IMG_2965.JPG
It's a little too big.

But, it may still be possible to transplant it's apparently healthy ribbon into the cartridge of an NL-10's cartridge. TBD on that. I'd want to try that experiment on a different cart than the one I'm currently using since it is at least functional if not completely perfect.

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:49 pm

That’s the perk of working with vintage retro stuff.

Challenges, challenges wherever you look.

But the feeling when you succeed- priceless!!

Kudos to keep trying. I’m really curious how this will turn out.

Bulletdust

Posted Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:34 am

I've got a Commodore MCS810, which is an Okimate 10 using the Commodore interface board, I've had it since I was a kid. I've also got an MCS820 that I used to use on my Amiga in the day, I have no idea what the difference is between the two as they look and behave identically.

The great thing about these printers is that their print quality is fantastic, the other great thing about these printers is that they're thermal transfer printers. Because they're thermal transfer, you had the option of using either a color or B&W wax ribbon, or you could just use thermal paper and discard the ribbon entirely.

I still use my MCS810 with my Commodore 64 to this day, and Brother still sell thermal A4 paper intended to be used with fax machines that works perfectly with the MCS810. It also has full GEOS support, not that I really use GEOS anymore these days. But at least I don't have to muck around trying to find ribbons.

The other great thing about the MCS810 is that it's totally silent.

blindguy

Posted Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:32 pm

I got a NX-1000 in the garage in the box, was the NL-10 better than that one?

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:59 am

blindguy wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:32 pm
I got a NX-1000 in the garage in the box, was the NL-10 better than that one?
Not sure which one is considered better and that is subjective. In my mind it would probably be the NX-1000 as it came out 2 years later and has multiple fonts built in. They basically both have the same speed, resolutions and modes. The NX-1000C also came in a rainbow version, which prints in color. I have had one of these since 1989 or so and it has been a great printer. Star-Micronics was always my favorite printer brand in the Dot Matrix and Commodore and Amiga era.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:43 pm

After letting my re-inked ribbon simply sit for a little over a month, I retested the print quality yesterday.

I'm very pleased to report that the ink looks very nice. It isn't jet black, but it's a very readable (and from what I remember pretty normal) gray.

IMG_3516.png
This is a "high quality" print, which means it kind of looks bolded compared to thin Draft characters.

If you look closely you can see that the ink isn't 100% consistent and sort of ebbs and flows in intensity. But hey - it's not horrible in my opinion.

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”