cappy2112

Posted Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:50 pm

Hello

I've been a retro computing enthusiast for about 10 years now (all due to a podcast) ;-)

I'm currently building an RC2014 CP/M system from a kit but my first computer was a TRS-80 Color Computer.
I've actually built about 5 or so retro kits over the years.

I've never actually used an Amiga, and I don't have any Amiga hardware ATM. I'm starting with an emulator and
have just bought a license for Amikit, and I'm trying to figure that all out on MacOS.
Amiga 101 here I come.

Thanks

Tony

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:54 pm

Tony! Thanks for joining. Emulation is a great place to get your feet wet. At the end of the day, the question you'll want to ask yourself is, "What do I want to experience the most?"

If the answer is games, I think a very mildly updated Amiga 500 is pretty much the place to start. That's what your emulator is probably set to by default. It was the most popular Amiga of all-time, so most games targeted it. By the late 80s, they expected to see at least a "1MB Amiga". The truth is, at least for 1980s and very early 90s games (or productivity software), a very mildly upgraded Amiga with at least 1MB RAM and a hard drive solution is perfecto.

These days, it's easy to fall down the continuous upgrade trap where the hardware consumes all of your time (nothing wrong with that, either). But if you're wanting to experience the computer, I'd start in the early days stuff where the software was mainly targeted. Then go from there. Ask us anything!

Return to “Member Intros”