happyferret

Posted Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:12 am

My Parceiro II finally arrived just yesterday and today, after backing up the included MicroSD card, I decided to give it a whirl.
In my quest to treat my Amiga 1000 like a newborn baby, I quickly picked out the manual hoping to find ample documentation on the Zorro side expansion slot.

To my shock I couldn't find information in the manual and, while the slot itself is prominently displayed inside the manual, it's never even explained what it does or how to remove the plastic cover (even iFixit has a teardown but likewise ignores the expansion slot).

Did Amiga/Commodore really not explain this slot to customers at the time at all or is my manual missing a page?

Oh. And how do I best remove the plastic cover without it snapping in half? :lol:

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:33 pm

And how do I best remove the plastic cover without it snapping in half?
It's best to remove them from the ends. In my experience, they aren't super tight. If yours is, maybe it has never been removed - ever? The ends have clips on them. And, the middle section actually bows quite a bit, as the plastic isn't super rigid. Including some pics so you can see how it is held onto the case.

As for the manual, when the A1000 was being sold - depending on the age of your manual - there may not have been a ton of peripherals available at the time. Certainly not from Commodore. But it was known that port would be for future RAM and storage options.
Attachments
IMG_3757.JPG
IMG_3755.JPG
IMG_3754.JPG

happyferret

Posted Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:26 pm

Yea. It took some wiggling but it finally came off.
I ended up consulting a PDF copy of the Sidecar manual, just to confirm my intuition isn't completely wrong on how to take it off.

Christian

Posted Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:15 pm

You pull from the center toward with a slight angle toward either the front or back and the opposite side will come out as the curvature of the cover increases and its "straight" length decreases in the process. No need for any tools or to pry it out at the ends.

Return to “Hardware”