SPiFF

Posted Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:31 pm

I really want to run the Rejuve A1000 in PAL. The Rejuve has the jumper on the Agnus, which seems to work just fine. Tested it with BenQ LCD panel that takes 15khz. I really want to get a 50Hz Commodore monitor. Somehow I thought the A1000 gets some of the video timing from the PSU?

So, what do you guys say the long term success would be of running the NTSC A1000 on 120v/60hz PSU with the Rejuve jumpered to PAL connected to a 50hz monitor on 240v/50hz transformed power?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:00 pm

I guess my first question is, "Why?"

Do you mainly want to run Demos? I'm curious about the direction.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:16 pm

I do hope you get your answer, but on a humorous note I just wanted to say how much I appreciate an Amiga board where you can say that you want to go from NTSC to PAL and the first response is "Why?" - Because you know if it was switched and someone wanted to go from PAL to NTSC, "Why?" would be the first response from those boards.

McTrinsic

Posted Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:39 am

Being able to switch back and forth like with the ACA500/+ just gives me the cozy feeling that I might be able to deal with all kind of different requirements from any kind of software. I.e. being able to run all demos, games, applications …

m0c
Utrecht, Netherlands

Posted Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:15 am

@SPiFF You will be fine. I believe the 50/60Hz tick signal is for syncing purposes with regards to the vertical blanking signal. It's not like you're "overclocking" anything :D

I imported an NTSC A1000 from the US shortly after its release in 1985, complete with A1080 monitor. The set has been running fine on a 220-to-110V transformer @50Hz. I swapped my 8361 NTSC Agnus for a PAL 8367 once it became available. I eventually changed the 28.636MHz NTSC oscillator block to 28.375MHz and added a tiny little upgrade board to obtain a real PAL color composite RCA output.

Since your PAL/NTSC jumper seems to be working, I assume that you are using a 8372AB Agnus? Consider yourself fortunate -- they are ultra rare.

SPiFF

Posted Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:48 pm

intric8 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:00 pm
I guess my first question is, "Why?"

Do you mainly want to run Demos? I'm curious about the direction.
All the good stuff is in PAL and these early machine don't have software switch. I suppose I could put a switch on the Rejuve jumper and use a PVM monitor but I really would rather have a real Amiga monitor like I have now. So, that leaves getting a monitor from Europe and jumpering to PAL.
m0c wrote: @SPiFF You will be fine. I believe the 50/60Hz tick signal is for syncing purposes with regards to the vertical blanking signal. It's not like you're "overclocking" anything :D

I imported an NTSC A1000 from the US shortly after its release in 1985, complete with A1080 monitor. The set has been running fine on a 220-to-110V transformer @50Hz. I swapped my 8361 NTSC Agnus for a PAL 8367 once it became available. I eventually changed the 28.636MHz NTSC oscillator block to 28.375MHz and added a tiny little upgrade board to obtain a real PAL color composite RCA output.
Thanks for the info. So, you were able to run the NTSC CRT with 50HZ mains? Getting the 110->220 transformer is easy. Getting a 60HZ to 50HZ frequency converter is a bit harder.
m0c wrote:Since your PAL/NTSC jumper seems to be working, I assume that you are using a 8372AB Agnus? Consider yourself fortunate -- they are ultra rare.
I have a 8372A Fat Agnus on the Rejuvenator.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:19 pm

All the good stuff is in PAL and these early machine don't have software switch.
When it comes to demos, I completely agree. Beyond that, though, for me not so much. But I also recognize everyone is different and comes at things from different angles and perspectives. And the great thing about the Amiga is there's enough content for everyone. 100%

m0c
Utrecht, Netherlands

Posted Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:26 pm

SPiFF wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:48 pm
So, that leaves getting a monitor from Europe and jumpering to PAL.
My 110V NTSC A1080 monitor is working perfectly at 50Hz on PAL Amigas. All I needed to do was readjust V POS, V SIZE and V HOLD a little. I've recently added a (European) Commodore 1084S-D to my collection and its picture and behaviour are fully identical to the A1080. The only difference appears to be 230V mains power...
SPiFF wrote: Getting the 110->220 transformer is easy. Getting a 60HZ to 50HZ frequency converter is a bit harder.
I sincerely doubt that you'll be needing any frequency converter.
SPiFF wrote: I have a 8372A Fat Agnus on the Rejuvenator.
Ah yes, that's also a switchable PAL/NTSC Agnus, but with 1MB chipram restriction.

SPiFF

Posted Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:49 pm

Thanks m0c. I didn't realize the 1084 was that tolerant for signal and frequency. Up and running in PAL now!

Return to “Hardware”