Appee

Posted Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:43 am

The alternative to the Atari 2600+ is shaping up. It has an SD port and with each update they open up a little more in emulation options. I'm just anticipating the commodore 64 getting included on the list. It has enough power to emulate some 16 bit so maybe early amiga games will run as well. It's a handsome little machine and arguments against it are moot if you were in willing to compromise on other emulation systems like the c64, the Atari 2600+ or the NES classic.

And it has USB ports to add better controllers if you can't adjust to wireless latency. It isn't bad.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:22 am

I have a Gamestation Pro and it is indeed a decent device with loads of great games built-in. I like that you can add games via a micro SD card out of the box.

I haven't updated mine to the latest firmware. And I haven't entirely gotten used to the joysticks.

IMHO a good alternative to the Atari 2600+ is the Retron 77. The emulation is spot on, it works with mostly the same games and maybe even a few more that the A2600+ doesnt. You can also add games via the SD card slot which is a great bonus. I also like the look of it too. Modern Retro for sure, especially if you get the translucent amber model as it has a 80's TRON/Vaporwave vibe which I like.

Check out this video by POJR for a good comparison.

Return to “Modern Take”