Marcio D.

Posted Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:35 pm

The visual effects for Babylon 5's pilot were provided by a studio named Foundation Imaging, using a series of Commodore Amiga computers and NewTek's Video Toaster technology. For their work on the pilot, Foundation Imaging won the 1993 Emmy Award for Outstanding Individual Achievement In Special Visual Effects.

Two of the show's principal actors give their impressions of the revolutionary technology.

Bruce Boxleitner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvVyq4tNmjU

Claudia Christian: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM0znz5JWQg

Only Amiga makes it possible !

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:59 am

Great show and a couple of weeks ago they finally released the series on Blu-ray with a couple of concessions.

Babylon 5 was originally shot in 16:9 widescreen as the future of HD and widescreen was believed to be near. The show was aired in 4:3 cropped from original. The effects and 3d animation were apparently done for 4:3. The original DVD release used the 16:9 masters for this with cropped 3d/effects. On low-def display it didn't matter much. When you upscale it to HD then it is blatantly obvious .

The Blu-ray release uses the 4:3 masters so you lose the original widescreen which is a bummer but it is what we say on TV. The effects and 3D are upscaled. It is sharper but noticeable that is upscaled.

I have been watching them and they are good HD quality. Clearer than the DVDs but I wish they had an option for Widescreen as it was shot. Apparently they could not do this easily because then all the 3D would have had to be recreated and re-rendered. The opening titles were always widescreen so on the blu-ray release you have to use the zoom feature of your TV otherwise it is a small border filled image top and bottom.

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:52 am

Ok, this is a bit off topic, but has anyone of you seen that new animated movie "Babylon 5: The Road Home"?
B5_TheRoadHome.jpg

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:36 am

Not seen it yet although I did receive it. Have you watched it yet? I have heard it was decent.

I am looking forward to the Reboot of the B5 series hopefully still happening.

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:21 am

Yes, I have watched it and I liked it very much. It is decent indeed. The animation-style is pretty nice, reminds me of some of those good old animated series we know from the past.

The only thing I had to get used to were the other voice actors for the characters whose original actors are already deceased, such as Mira Furlan aka. Delenn, and others.

Return to “The Lounge”