Don Corleone

Posted Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:21 pm

Please forgive the question, as I don't know much about the cables/connections between the A1000 and my 1084S monitor. I just came into ownership of an old A1000 which powers up. I own a 1084S which is connected to my A500. I would like to test the A1000 to see if it's functional -- beyond just powering up. Can I connect my 1084S to it with my current DB(whatever pins) cable without risking any damage to my monitor?

Hope someone can help, thank you!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:40 pm

You can't cause any damage using the 1084S with your A1000. Connecting the two will depend on which variant you have (there were a lot!). Phillips, Magnavox, Daewoo...

I have a 1084S-D1, and it's picture quality is fantastic. Mine doesn't have the DIN connector for the C128's 80 column mode, but I can easily use it with a C64 or Amiga.

The various manufacturers offered different ports on the back. If you have a cable that looks like it would connect (like, the type you'd use with a 1080 for example) then it should just hook right up. A button or two might need a press for the screen to come to life depending on the ports it has currently active.

The 1084S is so versatile, it's sort of the Commodore/Amiga fan's best friend as it can be used with C64, sometimes the C128 (both 40 and 80 column modes) as well as Amiga. You just have to sort out the cabling situation.

As long as your video is 15Khz, you're good to go.

Don Corleone

Posted Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:48 pm

Intric8 -- wow.. thank you kindly for such a thorough reply! I am grateful for that information. I'm going to test it out now without the stress of damaging anything. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Gino

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:52 pm

To add to this discussion, don't plug / unplug the RGB cable when the 1084S is on. Over the last 10 years, I've blown two flyback transformers by doing so, right as I did it.

Could be that it was going to happen anyway and it was just coincidence, but as hard as they are to come by these days it's better to be safe than sorry.

Adrian

Return to “Hardware”