Warty

Posted Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:03 pm

Doors!? We don't need no stinkin' doors.
Screenshot 2023-12-16 at 7.54.18 PM.png

Warty

Posted Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:57 pm

intric8 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:56 am
Welp, I'm giving up on trying to play Lich King on real disks. I can absolutely load it up in VICE, of course. And that's fine.

But via Zoom Floppy (with my current setup), the Uii+ and an SD2IEC, they all seem very much aimed at the D64 world. Not going to keep spinning my wheels on trying to copy the D71 for the time being.
Ok, I had some time this weekend to try and reproduce my process. I used a disk copier that was on a cart in the UII+ (action replay I think). BUT... even better, I found a way to just do files, and it's 1571 and 1581 aware (although it runs in 64 mode). Get this disk image:
1581toolkit.d81
http://www.vex.net/~falco/lemon/1581toolkit-d81.zip

Get that mounted somehow on your 128 (I used UII+). from 64 mode, do load"*",8,1. select the file copier when it runs. pick the source and destination disk, then select copy files. you'll get a file selector screen. select what you want, and let it do its thing. It actually has a pretty nice interface with bar graphs and everything!

And here's how I know it worked... this is LK demo running from the FNX1591 3.5" (1581 clone).
IMG_2235.jpeg
It says level 9 because the last thing I did on level 3 (final level of demo) was to read a mystery scroll, and it dropped me down to level 9.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:16 am

And here's how I know it worked...
Thanks for the tip, Warty! I'm away for the holidays now but will absolutely check this out when we get back home at the end of the year.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:16 am

I wrote a couple test .D71 disks with ZoomFloppy that I am going to test on my C64 at home. CBMXfer sees all the files and I am able to make an image which works on VICE. I will test it on my real C64 later tonight. (That may not mean anything because the 1571 still uses track 18 for the directory.)

It could be a combination of all the tools and command line programs that are needed that could be different than what I use.

I didn't remember that about Maverick. I will have to see what I used back in the day to duplicate our BBS files that were on 1571 disks. IIRC we always tried to use 2 1571 drives for copying.

I hope there is room in that Rabbit Hole for me. :D

Should we start a new topic for all this fun experimenting? haha

Here is what tools I use.

CBMXfer 1.10 GUI
DirMaster 3.1.5/Style for creating disk images of all kinds.
ZoomFloppy
OpenCBM (CBMFormat, D64Copy)
D82 Copy is for Pet Drives, IEEE, SFD1001 etc. It won't work with a 1581.

For creating a test .D71 I used DirMaster and created a new .D71 image. I used several .D64 images as a source by copying over program files to the .D71 image until it was nearly full.

I used CBMXfer to format a disk in 1571 DS mode. I confirmed it formatted the entire disk. (You can of course use a 128 or C64 with 1571 in DS mode to format your disks ahead of time. Just ensure they show the correct blocks free.
I used CBMXfer to copy the newly created .D71 image to an actual floppy.

Lately though I have been using the command line tools wherever possible. So D64Copy will work fine if you give it the right command line switches, etc. so for me it was this:
d64copy -2 --transfer=serial1 test.d71 8

To make it easy I put the image in the same directory as the tool.

So to break this down, -2 indicates copy in double-sided mode. --transfer=serial1 instructs the program that you want to use the slow serial transfer. It defaults to Auto or Warp I forget which but you have to use this flag for it to work as warp and other methods do not work. It takes a bit longer but it is only a few minutes.

I created one this morning using only the command line tool so I will test it later tonight and see if it works.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:04 pm

Boy, after that post ZZ I'm wishing the site had a Bookmark Reply/Post feature so I could save away posts for future viewing w/o having to hunt them down again. I'm going to make a note of that.

I've never used the command line tools and do believe that is likely my best shot. Uii+ and C128D don't always play nice together.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:12 pm

I know what you mean. I find nuggets of stuff all over and it is hard to catalog them for sure. I got into the habit of printing stuff out but that lead to issues. haha

Anyway, I remembered to actually bring the disks home today so I had a chance to test them. They both worked in my 1571 hooked to my C64 and 1571 in double sided mode (U0>M1).

So if you can't get it to work let me know and I can send you the disks.
1571XmasTest.jpg
A 1571 Disk written with a ZoomFloppy and OpenCBM D64copy on Windows XP

Sorry for the crummy picture. I still don't know how to take proper CRT pics with my iPhone14 Pro. For a pro phone the camera app should have more controls. ha

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:10 pm

I still don't know how to take proper CRT pics with my iPhone14 Pro
For photos I recommend the Pro Camera by Moment app (it's $8). It allows a lot of fine-tuning, and when you dial everything to "60" you often can get pretty great pics - especially of your Amiga's CRTs @320x200. The 1702's gorgeous scanlines can be quite a bit more camera shy but you can get good results at the right angles and under the right lighting.

For video, there used to be a SUPERB app you could buy (and it wasn't cheap) that produced exceptional video after making several adjustments. But then in less than 6 months of my buying it they switched to a subscription model which made the app utterly impossible to justify. Then just a couple of months ago the amazing people at Blackmagic Design released a free app called Blackmagic Cam (video only), which is awesome. You still need to dial "all the things" to 60 when aiming at a CRT and get the lighting right, but it's amazing the app is totally free.

G8rduc
North Florida

Posted Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:14 am

Just saw this and can't believe I never realized you had a Youtube channel. Just subscribed and love it.

While I have never played Rogue or any Roguelike games, my similar experience is with Islands of Kesmai on Compuserve. While not being a one-and-out style or random mapping, it had a similar UI and gameplay. Absolutely loved it. Now I'm going to load Rogue onto my A1000 and also download Angband on my Win machine. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:11 pm

Because I'm a follower of high-fashion and the latest trends, I created this t-shirt for myself. Watch out world. Here I come.
rogue-shirt.jpg
I'm too sexy for my shirt.

Return to “Games”