codevark
Sutton, MA USA

Posted Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:34 am

hi all -- I've got an A500 w/ Expansion Systems DataFlyer HDD and an A3000/040 with various HDDs. Wondering, which of the ZuluSCSI boards would be appropriate for each system? There seem to be a bunch of them, but not much guidance on which one to use in different machines.

Pete

codevark
Sutton, MA USA

Posted Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:34 pm

Well, the two replies I got from rabbithole are a bit terse and confusing. Apparently the RP2040 version is what I need, but in the first message they seemed to imply that the SCSI controller in the DataFlyer was less performant, and in the second they seemed to imply that the A3000's controller was less performant ("a bit unique") and that I'd need to use setbatt (or battmem?) and scsiprefs to make it work as well as it can.

Maybe I'll just go for it and figure out the details later. I just need to get away from spinning rust that's older than most of the people I work with ha

blindguy

Posted Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:07 am

He was telling the truth. The A3000 built-in SCSI works but is not as fast as other SCSI controlers. Also in the A3000 there were two different SCSI chips used and that can effect performance. I had to do some setbatt stuff to get mine going but it worked.

I also agree with you. Get it and figure it out. You may install it and it work perfect.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:39 pm

I own a couple Zulus including the 1.1 "regular" and some RP2040 and homebrew version. I would stick to the RP2040 versions. They offer a couple more features (initiator mode for one) and are clearly the ones to get going forward. They are also apparently a bit faster, not that it matters much to an Amiga 500 or 3000 or similar era Mac.

I am really happy with Zulu, BlueSCSI and the like. So much so that I am going to sell my SCSI2SD 5 and 6 versions as it is so much easier using disk images and .ini files to configure.

codevark
Sutton, MA USA

Posted Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:03 pm

Thanks for the advice. I feel better now.

Need to figure out the video sit tho. I sense retirement approaching. lol

McTrinsic

Posted Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:40 pm

Zippy Zapp wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:39 pm
I am really happy with Zulu, BlueSCSI and the like. So much so that I am going to sell my SCSI2SD 5 and 6 versions as it is so much easier using disk images and .ini files to configure.
The advantage of the SCSI2SD is that you can put the (m)SD into a card reader and use it as it is under WinUAE - or other UAEs.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:16 pm

McTrinsic wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:40 pm
The advantage of the SCSI2SD is that you can put the (m)SD into a card reader and use it as it is under WinUAE - or other UAEs.
True but you can also do this with the SD card from a Zulu or BlueSCSI. They are just image files on the PC readable card. With SCSI2SD the card is formatted by whatever platform you are using it so it is not as easy to transfer files to in some cases. ZuluSCSI you can have multiple images on the SD card (FAT32 or extFAT) and move them in and out of directories as needed. IE you could have Mac, Amiga and PC images all on the same card.

Return to “Hardware”