intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:58 pm

Back in early 2019, five years ago (dang!), I checked off my gaming bucket list Ultima IV. I wrote an extensive review of the game and my experience at the time. Ultima IV was incredibly satisfying to complete but frankly it was also a lot of work. It's not the kind of game I would quickly decide to play a second time. We only have so many days in this life to spend, you know what I mean? And that game took me months...

However, something I've wanted to share separately is my admiration of the box art, painted by Denis Loubet of Austin, Texas, back in 1985. Loubet was also responsible for painting almost all of the box art for the other Ultima games up through 1993. I think Ultima II was the only exception. He also provided art for manuals, advertising, and in-game graphics and animation. Very talented and accomplished dude.

Anyway, take a close look at this image for Ultima IV in particular for a moment.

box-ultimaIV.jpg

I find this to be one of the most intriguing and clever box art paintings ever made. It is filled with symbolism and cross-cultural inspiration. I'm not saying it's the best ever, but I'm saying I believe it to be one of the most ingenious.

Our character is seen from the back, long hair covering any facial features. This allows you the viewer to assume the role of the character more directly.

The clouds and dynamic angles - even the hair - force your eyes to repeatedly look at your hand holding the staff, and ultimately look up at the glowing ankh. In many ways this harkens to the tactics of the masters of the Renaissance, having the viewer look up in admiration to a holy scene or object. But an Egyptian symbol? In a D&D/Time Bandit-inspired adventure?

Ankhs depict life, air, water. Look at the cover one more time.

You might also notice how the clouds are actually handlike, with fingers reaching for the ankh you wield in your own powerful hand in triumph.

And what of the word, "avatar"? What does that even mean? Keep in mind in 1985 we didn't use that term as freely as we do today in reference to a video game's representation of ourselves. However, Richard Garriott is actually credited with extending the term to the on-screen user in Ultima IV. From a gaming perspective, that's where the etymology begins. But let's look further back, to the beginning.

Wikipedia:
Avatar (Sanskrit: अवतार, IAST: Avatāra; pronounced [ɐʋɐt̪aːɾɐ]) is a concept within Hinduism that in Sanskrit literally means 'descent'. It signifies the material appearance or incarnation of a powerful deity, or spirit on Earth. The relative verb to "alight, to make one's appearance" is sometimes used to refer to any guru or revered human being.
And while a Hindu concept, in the painting we seemingly have a magic user or druid (or priest) who, for all intents and purposes evokes strong stereotypical Christ-like or Moses overtones. Ironically, the artist himself is actually an active member of the Atheist Community of Austin.

Finally, take a close look at the sun reflecting in the water. There is no visible sun above the horizon. What does the sun reflecting in the water represent?

Throughout history, the sun as a symbol has been a powerful and universal representation of life, energy, and spirituality. To see it reflected in the water seems to suggest depth, while water itself is also often a universal representation of life. The sky and the ocean, the air and the water, the yin and the yang all focused on the avatar. You. You are the savior.

There's just a lot going on in this iconic image for this historically important game - far more so than the typical box art we usually encounter. The multiple layers and angles have always impressed and intrigued me.

Read Denis Loubet's response.

McTrinsic

Posted Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:09 am

Totally agree with you. Although as you can see if you look for the clouds, it’s that LACK of clouds that form a hand-like appearance.

Overall, this picture is Impression throwing around innuendos and hints at meanings while at the same time being vague enough to be blamed for, let’s say, a depiction of Moses.

Awesome.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:38 am

After writing this, on a whim I decided to send it directly to the artist Denis Loubet himself. I honestly didn't expect to hear back and a couple of days went by.

To my surprise and delight he wrote me back! He's allowed me to post his remarks.

Denis Loubet on my musings and some of his original intent in the painting for Ultima IV:
That was awesome! Thank you for the kind words, and again for thinking I'm anywhere near that smart! 😃

You're absolutely correct about the reason it's viewed from the back. That was exactly the idea behind a lot of the covers. It was a big change when we did the cover to Ultima 6, and showed the avatar's face, even as indistinctly as we did.

And all the elements trying to direct the eye to the staff? Yes! That was my compositional goal for the cover.

The ankh is all Richard's doing, and I think his reasons were as you surmise. (At an Ultima event many years ago someone had built an actual size version of that very staff! It was way cool!)

Alas, I did not imagine the clouds as hands! They're just stretched out to lead the eye to the ankh. But you are right about the use of the term "Avatar" employed by Richard.

And you're right about the callback to biblical imagery of Moses and the red sea! Trying for that Ten Commandments, Charlton Heston vibe. 😉 (And yes, I am a somewhat outspoken atheist.)

I wish I was that knowledgeable about symbolism, but the sun peeking under the clouds is so that I could justify the back-lighting of the crashing waves that unfortunately didn't turn out as epic as I wanted. Then again, you're absolutely right about the, "You are the Savior" intent of the picture!

If I was to do the cover again, the robes would be unbound by any belt, and more elaborate and layered, less contoured to the figure within them. The brass border would be a lot less busy and distracting, and the picture would be more theatrically lit for greater impact and eye-directing effect. Maybe I'll do that for my Patrons someday! 😉

Thanks again for the article, and for making me look good!
You can find more of Loubet's art here.

:boing: <3

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:21 am

This is awesome. Love it.

Ultima IV is a game that left a deep impact on my personality.

For Ultima IV, the manual played a special role. Or those who don’t know it: the in-game backstory expected / required you to read one of two books of the manual. It explains the Ultima-backstory as an history-book within the game world: „the book of history“.

When playing U IV, the game tells you explicitly to „read the book of history“. And as you press a key to dismiss this message, you will be reminded that this was serious: „no really, you read the book of history“. This sentence lives rent-free in my head ever since.

Anyway.

As I did read the book of history, the pictures helped me to fill the the gap between the game graphics and my imagination. And this was definitely massively coined by the design of Loubet‘s sketches.

AWESOME.

Return to “The Lounge”