intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:51 am

This morning I awakened to an email inbox alerting me of a new Amiga-related article that had been published somewhere on the internet. I set that service up a long time ago and it hits interesting things from time to time.

On this occasion, to my surprise the source was none other than the renowned publication The Guardian. Anxiously curious I clicked the link and dropped into the newspaper's website.

guardian.png
Composite: Guardian Design/Getty Images/Bettmann Archive

Interestingly, the article written by Dominik Diamond, "My undying love for the painfully uncool Amiga," was categorized in the Games section. Of course, I thought. But then I re-read the title. UN-COOL?? WTF is this all about?

Then the tagline, with yet another slap to the face:
It may have looked like something you’d see a bank teller use, but it withstood heavy battering. And it ran the coolest games
The basic premise of the article is about Diamond wanting to get a "Mini Amiga" aka The A500 Mini by Retro Games.

Diamond:
I read the reviews and was surprised at the appearance of two words I never associated with the original Amiga: cool, and love. It might seem strange to say the Amiga wasn’t loved, because a lot of people bought and used one. But people use things every day that they don’t love: electric shavers, patience, door handles, the train.

He continued:
As someone who was actually there for the 80s and 90s, the Amiga just didn’t enjoy that kind of love. Why? Because it looked uncool.

The Amiga looked like something you’d see a bank teller use. And not for the cool bank stuff, like foiling a robbery.
It was around this point when I realized the first half of the article seemed to be crafted entirely for the purpose of trolling the Amiga community. The 2nd half of the article is all about how great the machine was but it's sort of like insulting someone to their face, laughing, then saying, "Just kidding old chap! I love you."

Well done, Mr. Domink Diamond. At least you have a cool sounding name.

Return to “The Lounge”