intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:33 am

I also have a CDTV, but the CD-ROM drive's caps are all totally shot. The options are to either do a very meticulous recap of the drive, or find a suitable plug-and-play replacement drive.

Do such CD-ROM drives exist that can be easily used as replacements? Sorry to go slightly off topic here.

dalek
Australia

Posted Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:50 pm

I've never seen a suitable replacement drive. They are custom MKE interface drives for the CDTV/A570.

A meticulous recap of the cd-rom board is satisfying and totally worth doing. Just make sure to get low-profile caps no taller than the originals. There is a cap list over on a1k.org that worked for me.

luvwagn

Posted Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:44 pm

@intric8 - i've often wondered about forego'ing the internal drive and using an IDE-based drive with one of the RAM+IDE or TF536 combos, or even a SCSI drive (although good luck finding a slim-line drive that would fit in the case).

With IDE as an option (also requiring v2.35 extended ROMs?), you could get a slim-line laptop IDE ROM drive from before they switched to SATA, perhaps? ooooh, that would be sexay

McTrinsic

Posted Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:50 pm

If you have IDE, you also have the option for a slim IDE2IDE -adapter.

Also, there are (were) IDE2SCSI adapters. They are getting rarer, though. The most robust/compatible seem to be the ones from Yamaha, but also Adaptec and others made some.

alexh

Posted Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:10 am

The Pistorm can't work (yet) in CDTV mode because the CDTV/A570 DMAC is a 680x0 bus master and Pistorm doesn't (yet) support bus arbitration.

Work to add bus arbitration to the Pistorm CPLD and the Musashi emulator is taking place for Atari ST which needs bus arbitration. They are not (yet) planning to adapt emu68k.

Unfortunately this work is a fork of Pistorm and so hasn't made it back to the main repo. You can talk about it in the #Atari channel of the Pistorm Discord server.

There is little need for IDE->SCSI adapters anymore since the introduction of low-cost SCSI -> SD card bridges such as ZuluSCSI, raSCSI, SCSI2SD etc.

brufnus

Posted Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:28 pm

Hi again,

I haven't had much time to work with the hardware side of the CDTV/Pistorm; however, I've successfully configured it to use the RPi's wi-fi to connect to the internet with AmiTCP and iBrowse.
Hopefully this winter I'll be taking it offline to recap my CD-ROM drive and experiment with an additional interface board I have at hand, which I'll grind down a bit at the GPIO pins, hopefully solving the problem with not being able to mount the lid. It only needs to be lowered a mm or so, I think.

brufnus

Posted Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:25 pm

alexh wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:10 am
The Pistorm can't work (yet) in CDTV mode because the CDTV/A570 DMAC is a 680x0 bus master and Pistorm doesn't (yet) support bus arbitration.

Work to add bus arbitration to the Pistorm CPLD and the Musashi emulator is taking place for Atari ST which needs bus arbitration. They are not (yet) planning to adapt emu68k.

Unfortunately this work is a fork of Pistorm and so hasn't made it back to the main repo. You can talk about it in the #Atari channel of the Pistorm Discord server.

There is little need for IDE->SCSI adapters anymore since the introduction of low-cost SCSI -> SD card bridges such as ZuluSCSI, raSCSI, SCSI2SD etc.
Indeed; I've been reading now and then in the Atari thread; however, I haven't yet seen anything about the firmware. Perhaps I should ask how things are going with respect to that.

I think most, if not all IDE and SCSI drives could be dispensed with if using only the SD card as "hard drives" and perhaps the USB port for CD-ROM. It's merely a shame not being able to use the original CD-ROM drive; a CDTV without that is sort of... crippled I think.

Return to “Hardware”