intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:59 am

I remember asking that same exact question to Chris a long time ago. Let me try and dig up our correspondence.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:11 pm

Apparently there were "hacks" out there that auto-loaded the ROMs, so the external cart wasn't necessary for booting. I'm not sure if I have any of those, however. But it appears they do exist. Or did.

jdryyz

Posted Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:42 pm

That is exactly what I have installed (a hacked A-Max 2.50). There's even a hacker's credit just prior the Mac booting. I've never tested anything above that although I have had A-MaxIV.dms in my stash for many years. I am guessing it expects to see hardware which is why I have no memory of using it. At that point in history, I had already moved on to Emplant (with the Zorro II board) and later Fusion software. Only the software remains in my possession now. Emplant and my floppy adapter (AMIA) were sold off years ago.

My "warp" disk archiver test failed to read back the A-Max format floppy which raises the question-- how is it that I can write a disk using "unwarp" but not read back the same disk with "warp"? Perhaps the two split files has some significance.

I am curious when you last used Img2Amax and was there anything special about the image files you used to convert from? That may be my only option if I can get a hold of image files it likes. I doubt creating A-Max format image files is doable.

jdryyz

Posted Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:12 pm

Well look what I found. Stumbled on, is more accurate. I did not expect to see these again as I already thought I overwrote them all.

I checked the labels against the real mac 800k floppies. Looks like I am missing Install, Install 2, Install 3 and Tidbits. If these could be made into Amax format and then into download files, that would be great.
AMX floppies.jpg
I was working on other possibilities of getting System 7.1 on my AMAX drive because I know at least of the of the Amiga Mac emulator programs is suppose to be able to read an AMAX drive. I ran into trouble using both ShapeShifter and Fusion on my OS 3.2.2.1 A3000, however.

Return to “Software”