Warty

Posted Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:12 pm

oh, we knew it would read formatted HD disks, or format them in HD, but I'm sure many of us have formatted an HD disk as DD in a pinch, and used on legacy machines. I definitely see a higher failure rate doing that, but on at least Mac and Amiga drives, I've also see it work a fair amount.

The 1591 immediately said "bad disk", as opposed to plugging along track by track and then failing when it hit a bad one. It is a newer drive mech in there, it may be "smarter" than 1990s floppy drives.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:54 pm

I have not hooked mine up but it makes sense it would not work with HD disks even though it is an HD drive. I think for HD drives you needed to cover the "HD" hole on the disk. Not that I advocate using HD disks in a DD drive (or mode). I have plenty of DD disks so it won't be a problem for me.

I have not hooked up my 1591 drive yet nor my F256K that I got with it. Honestly if I knew when I was ordering it that I was going to need to move I probably would have not.

Does it work out of the box with the F256K? I understand I will need to flash a kernal ROM to use it as a 1581. I will I guess but it is not the reason I bought it as I already have a 1581 and an FD-2000 clone.

Warty

Posted Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:52 pm

To use it with anything, you need to flash some kind of ROM in there. You can flash several kinds (I think simply because she wanted to give you flex to have JiffyDOS and normal ROM choice, and 16 slots was same as 2 slots or whatever). The F256K speaks CBMdos, if you will, so I flashed CBM Dos from 1581. I also did the $8 JiffyDOS ROM, but not actually having had that as a commodore 8 bit owner in the past, I forgot that you need to also have it in the C= machine. And it's a physical mod. So probably not going to do that on my C128. For the F256K, I'm not sure if it understands JiffyDOS out of the box. (I'd try it for you but I'm out of town right now).

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:31 pm

Ok Cool. Thanks for the information. One thing she could, and I know she is trying, is improve the documentation. It should be crystal clear what you are getting into before you buy it.

As for JiffyDOS you don't have to mod your C64. You can install the JiffyDOS C64 kernal to one of the kernal slots on an EasyFlash 3 cartridge and use that when you want JD. That is the way I typically use it. I also have JD installed as one of 8 kernals on my built ICS64S board and now that I finally got the case and keycaps for it I can finally finish that project.

Warty

Posted Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:19 am

Thanks for that info. I have an Ultimate II+ for my C128, I'll check and see if maybe the same thing would work in 128 mode.

Return to “Non-Commodore Scenes”