cbmeeks

Posted Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:23 pm

I have several Amiga's but I am interested in making my new A1000 the computer I go to for games.

I'm only really interested in OCS games (SotB, etc.). What would be awesome is if there was a way I could do the following:

1) Better display (my 1084S doesn't have much life in it)

2) 1 MiB of Chip RAM would be nice.

3) More RAM in general (512K is a little limiting)

4) SD card for loading OCS games.

5) KickStart in ROM

Is all of this possible on an A1000 without spending a fortune?

Thanks for any suggestions.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:30 pm

There are so many ways to go about this in 2023, but let me suggest a few things to at least put on your radar as you do your research.

And keep in mind everyone does this differently. But since you made it clear up front that OCS games are your key target, then IMO Amiga OS 1.3 on an Amiga 1000 is the way to go.

From your bullet points above you can address 3, 4 and 5 with a Parceiro II, which will run you around $200-225 last I checked. You just slap it onto the side of your machine on the expansion port and power up and boom! Instant (and fast/stable) hard drives with the ability to move files from modern computers to your Amiga in seconds. You also get a real-time clock and fast RAM.

The device is hands down 100% fantastic. It also would remove the need for a Kickstart disk to boot your machine. And, it could even let you play around with OS 2.0 and 3.1 if you ever wanted to in the future.

If you want to add more Chip, honestly you're looking at a Rejuvenator. These can run north of $200 in parts alone, and over $415 US fully assembled (minus the Agnus and RAM you'd need). Installation is not easy and requires patience. But it's a total life changer if you really need/want that Chip RAM. My guess is you can live without it for the most part and the Parceiro will bring you 8MB of truly fast Fast RAM, so based on what you've said thus far that's where I'd start.

Just know that you'd need to do some minor modifications to your Daughterboard for it to work, and David Dunklee (the creator of the device) would walk you through the details.

fastrobplus

Posted Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:30 pm

To replace your display, you might consider getting a device like a GBS-Control which can take the output from the RGB port and turn it into upscaled VGA output. There are also devices that let you output HDMI, though like everything on the A1000, it's slightly more involved than on a machine like the A500.

I think you'll find that there are a small but passionate subset of Amiga users who love the A1000 enough that they make it their primary retro machine despite the extra hassle.

luvwagn

Posted Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:54 am

@intric8 - would you recommend whdload or some equivalent for an a1000 like this, or a gotek external drive and some df0/df1 switcher?

I have a parceiro// which is amazing, but I don't have a library of floppy disks to stuff into the machine...

I don't even know if whdload works on 1.3?

luvwagn

Posted Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:55 am

@cbmeeks I have an rgb2hdmi adapter installed and love it. $55 + a raspberry pi zero

McTrinsic

Posted Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:38 am

I really like my Indivision ECS from iComp. From v2 on, it gives you a configurable OCS/ECS Denise. For the A1000 you need a small adapter to relocate the socket. Available from iComp, too.

Depending on your display, however, you are looking at an additional VGA-HDMI converter.

Other than that, the Parceiro II is indeed an impressive starting point.
You just need to be honest to yourself. If there is a possibility that you will later continue to expand it, you shouldn’t target intermediate states as this will only cost more.

So in the long run a Rejuvenator plus a turboboard for the 68socket might be what you are actually after.

And then you add a clockport-adapter to said 68 socket and add a clockport soundcard and USB 😊

cbmeeks

Posted Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:10 am

Thanks to all of you for your response.

luvwagn wrote: @cbmeeks I have an rgb2hdmi adapter installed and love it. $55 + a raspberry pi zero
I have a Pi Zero (which is harder to obtain then unicorn teeth these days). Do you have more information on that adapter?

McTrinsic wrote: You just need to be honest to yourself. If there is a possibility that you will later continue to expand it, you shouldn’t target intermediate states as this will only cost more.
Well, honestly, a lot of this is just childhood excitement right now. My first Amiga was the A500 (which I still have). That was 34 years ago (ugh!). For all of these years, I wanted an Amiga 1000 because they look so awesome and they were the first Amiga's. I finally got one about 10 years ago and I couldn't get it to work. I buy a second one last week and it works. Ask me again in two months and I will probably be using my A1200. LOL

fastrobplus wrote: To replace your display, you might consider getting a device like a GBS-Control which can take the output from the RGB port and turn it into upscaled VGA output.
I have one of these and in my experiences, they are pretty awful. At least the one I have is. When I move the mouse around, it looks like someone is smearing bacon grease over the pointer. lol. The latency is very bad. Again, with the one I have.

intric8 wrote: There are so many ways to go about this in 2023, but let me suggest a few things to at least put on your radar as you do your research.

And keep in mind everyone does this differently. But since you made it clear up front that OCS games are your key target, then IMO Amiga OS 1.3 on an Amiga 1000 is the way to go.

From your bullet points above you can address 3, 4 and 5 with a Parceiro II, which will run you around $200-225 last I checked. You just slap it onto the side of your machine on the expansion port and power up and boom! Instant (and fast/stable) hard drives with the ability to move files from modern computers to your Amiga in seconds. You also get a real-time clock and fast RAM.

The device is hands down 100% fantastic. It also would remove the need for a Kickstart disk to boot your machine. And, it could even let you play around with OS 2.0 and 3.1 if you ever wanted to in the future.

Just know that you'd need to do some minor modifications to your Daughterboard for it to work, and David Dunklee (the creator of the device) would walk you through the details.
I think 1.3 is the way to go as well. And, I just learned about that Parceiro. So it's definitely on my radar. I just have to recoup from the money I just spent on this A1000. Why are Amiga's so expensive!?!?!

fastrobplus

Posted Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:54 pm

cbmeeks wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:10 am

I have one of these and in my experiences, they are pretty awful. At least the one I have is. When I move the mouse around, it looks like someone is smearing bacon grease over the pointer. lol. The latency is very bad. Again, with the one I have.
I'm curious - do you mean the GBS-Control or a GBS 8200?

cbmeeks

Posted Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:21 pm

fastrobplus wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:54 pm
I'm curious - do you mean the GBS-Control or a GBS 8200?
Oh, I was thinking they are the same thing. I'm pretty sure the one I have is the 8200 because I remember that number.

Return to “Hardware”