cbmeeks

Posted Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:36 pm

Hello, all.

On my Amiga 1000 I have two drives. I can boot from WB1.3 just fine and my external drive works just fine.

However, I noticed that if I start opening various folders on either drive, the computer completely locks up. I can't move windows around, I can't close anything, etc. It just sits there forever.

The only thing that seems to "unfreeze" it is removing the disk I tried to open. At that point, WB shows a message telling me to re-insert the disk. I put the disk back in and everything goes back to normal.

Any ideas on what causes this?

Thanks.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:50 pm

and my external drive works just fine.
What kind of external drive are you running?

cbmeeks

Posted Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:02 am

It's a 1011 external drive.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:12 am

Oh I see. So your A1K setup is 2 disk drives, no HDD, is that right?

You're booting WB 1.3 off the internal drive (DF0) and trying to use DF1, and things get screwy?

cbmeeks

Posted Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:59 am

I just checked again. It does it with both drives.

At first I thought it was just the mouse not working properly. But as I open up various apps and folders on BOTH drives, eventually it will freeze. Even the mouse cursor won't move.

I take out a disk and put it back in and it "wakes" up from whatever loop it was stuck in and starts working again.

This is a vanilla A1000 with the 256K front door RAM expansion and that's it. Just internal drive and external drive with no HDD or other RAM expansion.

Thanks.

Return to “Hardware”