APotatoBattery

Posted Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:25 am

Hi all,

A newbie to the Amiga scene.

I an see posts for upgrades to an A500 but I have a Rev 5 and I understand this has some differences and complications(?). I just watched Dr Chris video on upgrading to put in 1MB chip ram.

I am looking for help to know what upgrades I can do with a Rev 5. Can you please help me?

Thank you :)

gordanian
Green Camp, Ohio

Posted Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:42 am

The rev 5 is not as bad as it always sounds. Ive got a rev 5 and a rev 6. You can make any upgrade to it that any other 500 rev can get. Currently right now my rev 5 has a gotek, rgb2hdmi and the pistorm in it. Before the pistorm I used a 68000toide stacked on an 68000to8meg ram expansion. I then removed those when I got the witcher 508i and added a dkb megachip for 2mb of chip mem. When i upgraded it to the current pistorm, I put the witcher in rev 6 500 and the megachip into my 2000. So really the sky is the limit for you rev 5....depending how deep your pockets are :P I would recap the board and if you have a slot ram expansion with a varta battery on it...get the battery removed ASAP. My old A501 had one on it encapsulated in the metal shield that covers it. Was almost beyond repair.

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:36 pm

Absolutely agree on the check for the battery. A recap would be nice.

My personal opinion on expansions:

- ACA500+ if you don’t mind the external expansion. If you later want a better accelerator, you can add an A1200 accelerator. Some people have even added a Blizzard 1260. and you can get expansions via clockport plus a specifically made networking-module.
- ACE2b 2MB ChipRAM expansion
- Indivision ECS for VGA, flickerfixer, scandoubler and some scanline-emulation. Switchable from ECS to OCS. Graffiti emulation.
- HxC or Gotek floppy emulation.
Although with the ACA I nowadays hardly use any floppy at all.

From there you can have a happy life with WHDLoad or start expanding the Amiga even more with, let’s say, an A314.

I’m not affiliated with iComp.

Return to “Hardware”